Chapter 4

Chapter 4

            The surgery itself was surprisingly painless. Zandry was thrilled to discover that Shinigami had developed drugs for sanitation and sleep inducement. When she awoke, however, she immediately felt something was wrong.

            “What the hell?! I can’t see!!”

            The nurses calmed her down and explained that Reapers can’t see without specially-made spectacles. One handed her a plain pair of round lenses. She put them on and her sight returned.

            “Now your eyes are able to see cinematic records.” One explained in a soothing tone. “Also, you now have superhuman physical capabilities, and you can withstand impacts that would normally be fatal to humans. Lastly, you are now able to teleport between the World of Reapers and the Human World freely.”

            All Zandry could say was “Holy shit.”

            Although Will was expecting her at her new office, she decided to head back to her apartment first.  She flagged down a taxi (a free service in the World of Reapers) and rode back home. She stepped inside her sleek, modern, 1-bedroom complex and entered the bathroom. She gazed at herself in the large mirror. She still had the same thick, brown hair and sharp features as before. The only thing that changed about her appearance was her now-glowing green eyes. She looked around, familiarizing herself with the room. In one cupboard she found towels, and in another, perfumes. Then, she found a drawer filled with hair dyes and a pair of scissors. Without a second thought, she snatched them and sawed off the bun at the base of her neck.

҉

            Will and Grell received quite the shock when Zandry walked into the office an hour later. She had chopped her hair down to a sort of edgy cut and dyed it a strong green with black lowlights. She had also discovered a black, double breasted jacket and exchanged it for the plain dress she was wearing before along with dark jeans and a pair of combat boots. Grell burst out laughing as Will got to his feet.

            “You’re late, Mrs. Stapleton.” He greeted her. “If you’d notice, the four of us have a private office on this floor in which we mostly fill out paperwork involved with being a Grim Reaper. Your desk is right there.”

            “Right. Did you say the four of us?”

            “Right Here!” A man shouted from another cubicle. He was a young-looking fellow with orange and black hair.

            “This is Ronald Knox, Grell Sutcliff’s apprentice.” Will explained.

            “That’s me!” Knox extended his hand.

Zandry shook it. “Pleasure.”

“Hey, you’re kinda cute, aren’t you? How about after this I show you around town? Buy you a few drinks?” He grinned mischievously.

“I’ll pass.” She moved to check out her desk.

“This is a personal computer, that is a printer, and that is a fax machine.” Will relayed, pointing at each.

“What’s that?”

“A stapler. This is where the majority of you work will be done. Here is your death scythe.”

She received a plain, one-handed sickle.

“When you become a more experienced reaper, you will have the option of personalizing both your scythe and your spectacles.” He adjusted his while saying so.

“Ooh, ooh, wanna see mine?!” Grell yelped suddenly. He pulled a weird object out of nowhere and pulled a string on it. It began roaring loudly.

“Grell, put that away!” Will shouted. Grell reluctantly turned it off.

“What is that?!” Zandry hissed.

“A chainsaw!” He cheered.

“It’s a sharp chain that rotates around a rounded blade, a very dangerous weapon.” Will recited.

“Can I get one like that?”

“NOOOH! It’s mine!” Grell squealed. He bounced over to will. “WIII-IIIILLLL!!” Zandry’s a copycat!” He made a move to kiss him and Will shoved him off.

Zandry took a couple of practice swings with the sickle. “Well, it’ll do for now.”

Will decided to let Zandry have a few weeks off before starting her training. This was much needed, for Zandry spent most of that free time learning about things like electricity, telephones, and the Internet. After a while, however, the culture-shock eventually wore off and she found she quite liked this new, technologically-advanced world.  Thus, slowly, she regained her confidence and bad attitude that made her Zandry.

One night, when she was cooking dinner, it suddenly occurred to Zandry that she had completely abandoned her family and home that night she came here. Without her help, her parents would probably lose their shop and spiral into dept without their personal source of free labor.

Zandry burst out laughing and returned to making her food. That was the last time she ever thought about her old life.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! Plz vote or comment. Did u notice the picture i posted? That's Zandry. I still havent gotten her face right, but at least you can see what her hair looks like.

Thx again

Kaldaki

PS.   Please check out my Original story 'Amy'