Chapter 5

Chapter 5

            Late one evening, Zandry received an email from her new boss:

Ms. Stapleton,

      Please report to the office at 7:30 tomorrow morning to begin your formal training.

                                    William T. Spears

Zandry sighed. She was getting used to not having to “report” to anyone. She decided she should probably get some sleep.

It was 7:45 when she walked through the door to William and Grell’s private office on floor 7 the next morning.

“You’re late, Ms. Stapleton.” Will greeted her.

“It’s Zandry.” She sat in her chair and propped her feet up on the desk.

“First of all, what do you know about Grim Reapers?”

“Only what I’ve read in fairytales.”

“Right. Although the Board of Education said you were ready for direct training, I still believe you need more knowledge on our rules and customs before going out on the field. You will read these textbooks and take notes before taking an exam written by me. If you pass, I will move on to practical training.” He laid three heavy textbooks on her desk.

Zandry sat up. “What the crap? I’m not doing this!”

“You just need to skim and make brief outlines of each chapter.”

“I don’t care, I’m not doing it!”

Will did not respond, instead choosing to skewer her with an icy stare. Seething, she picked up one of the books, titled “How to Make an Ethical Decision for a Human Soul.” The other two were both on instructions for being a Reaper. Will handed her a sheet of loose-leaf paper.

“This is fucking ridiculous.” She muttered, snatching a pen from her desk.

“Yeah, Will, don’t you think that’s a bit harsh?” asked an eavesdropping Knox from his desk.

“I was faced with much harder assignments during my years in the Academy.” He replied.

“Aw, school wasn’t that hard. All you had to do was sleep with the profess-“

At that point Will’s flamboyant partner burst into the room, crimson hair flowing behind him. “Zandry! Didn’t think you’d be here!”

“Will’s making me read a textbook.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m not ready to go out on the field yet.” She said sarcastically.

“Actually, it can be a bit dangerous for a newbie.” Knox put in.

“Hey, who’s side are you on, anyway?” Zandry snapped.

“Look, I’m just saying it’d be a shame if someone like Jack the Ripper got ahold of you.“

Grell burst into laughter so suddenly it made everyone jump. Will closed his eyes in disgust as the other two stared in confusion.

“Er… I can take care of myself.” Zandry concluded before returning to her books.

She worked for the rest of the day, then the next, and then the next. She found that the two books on Reaper rules were actually quite useful, and there were a lot of restrictions that she was previously unaware of. Will’s force-reading was actually a necessary step, not that she would ever admit to it. And, of course, she passed her exam easily with 100%.

“I’m just smarter than you.” Was her only explanation.