Chapter 13

Will was not incorrect when he predicted Zandry’s eminent success that night. Not a week later, she was checking her email at work when she noticed a message from the Shinigami Organizational Committee.

                “Another one?”

                “Ooh, ooh, you should open that!” said Grell, peeking over her shoulder. She clicked on the message and a very official-looking notification popped up.

Ms. Alexandria Mae Stapleton,

      We are pleased to inform you that due to careful consideration by all members of the Shinigami Organizational Committee, you have been promoted to the class of Senior Shinigami and now possess the privileges and honors that accompany such an outstanding title, which are outlined in the Worker’s Manual found in the first drawer of your office desk. Please utilize these new features responsibly, and continue to perform your best for Grim Reapers Inc.

                                    The Shinigami Organizational Committee

                “Yay! You got promoted!!” Grell cheered.

                “Again? I just got promoted last week! This system is way too easy.” Zandry complained.

                “On the contrary.” Will spoke up. “A Senior Shinigami is quite an admiral title. It is usually only given to Reapers who have been in service for at least a hundred years. That is, without breaking any major rules.” He eyed Grell coldly, who shrugged and said “So I don’t get to use the bloody bookmark, big deal.”

                “Bookmark?” Zandry asked.

                “What?! You haven’t heard of the bookmark yet?” Grell exclaimed.

                “Well, you guys never tell me anything; how was I supposed to know about it?”

                “It wouldn’t hurt for you to do research by yourself for once.” Will sighed. “Grell, why don’t you accompany Ms. Stapleton to the Reaper’s Library?”

                “Me? Why can’t you do it?”

                “I have just received an assignment and I’d like to finish it quickly.” He responded, holding up a sheet of computer paper. “And remember, the bookmark and pen are only to be used in emergencies. They are not toys.”

                The Reaper’s library was located on the outskirts of the city. It was a gigantic and prestigious-looking building made of beautiful white marble. Zandry grinned when she imagined how awesome splattered blood would look against it.

                “This is where all cinematic records are stored!” Grell told her.

                “Wow, really?” It only took a few seconds for her to make the connection. “So the bookmark and the pen… Grell, can you really alter the course of a human’s existence?!”

                He laughed loudly. “Uh-huh!  Well, I can’t, but now that you’re a Senior, you can use it whenever you want!”

                “Then what are we waiting for?”

                The first thing Zandry did when they entered the enormous building was locate this legendary bookmark and pen and find her father’s cinematic record. She opened it to a page in the middle and watched as the letters formulated themselves on the paper, documenting the man’s life.