My Speech for a thing I did

In the past few years, I had some issues with some people whom I'd trusted and confided since about first grade. I've always been really shy and, up until around 2  years ago, I tried to avoid talking to people outside of my own circle. These people that I thought were my friends knew this and used it to make me feel alienated and alone. I didn't think about going to my (twin) sister about it because I knew she'd want to report them and at this time, they were the only friends I'd ever known. So I let them say terrible things about me. It took 3 months before I broke and asked someone I didn't know very well if I could sit with her. From then on she made a point to let me sit at the end of an overcrowded table where I could sit and read quietly. I finally didn't have to deal with the mean glares and terrible words from someone I considered a friend. This girl is one of my best friends now and if it wasn't for her offering me that seat at the end of an overcrowded table, I wouldn't have been half as confident as I am today. 

50% of the time it takes a bystander only 10 seconds to stop the situation. It takes even less time to ask someone to sit with you or ask them if they need someone to talk to. You don't have to be close friends with someone to show them what true kindness is.  

I wrote this as an election speech for my no place for hate club at my school, I didn't win, but I really like the people who did and I'm looking forward to participating in this club.