Chapter Four: The Brother (Nikolai)

Instead of Nikolai landing in a hurt mess at the bottom of the stairs, something strange happened. When he fell down the stairs it was almost like he was a gymnast and doing back flips and who knows what was instinct to him.                  

           Probably another weird side effect of being a vampire Nikolai thought to himself as he slowly made his way up the stairs. He sat at the top step, leaning on a wall and trying to process what had gone on in the last twenty-four hours. Rose was a monster slayer and he was the monster she was supposed to be slaying. The thought of Rose killing him sent a chill down his spine but he let the thought pass, not wanting to imagine that as being a possibility.                    

          Why did she throw me down here? What if I had gotten hurt? Did she know I wouldn't? Who was that man? Nikolai looked at the door. That he could see even though there was no light. He figured it was another vampire side effect. Nikolai grabbed the door handle. Slowly, and as quietly as he could, he turned the knob. He opened the door a small crack, not enough to be to noticeable but enough so he could see what was going on. Rose was being squeezed into an uncomfortable looking hug. The one squeezing her was a tall and muscular man with wild brown hair. He had a dark tan and light blue eyes. The man seemed eerily familiar to Nikolai. He had met the man before but he couldn't quite remember where. He went into a deep thought trying to remember though his attention was soon back to the man and Rose. He had put her down and they were just staring at each other.                   

            “Did you redecorate?” The man asked as he took a seat on the floor. "Why are you back in town? I thought you had been relocated to River Wood." She questioned the man as she sat down sipping tea. Nice way to avoid the question Nikolai thought to himself.           

             "Well the vampire problems have been resolved in a short amount of time so I thought that I would see my dear sister. Is that so wrong?," he asked the sickly sweet voice still there. Nikolai then remembered his voice and images of the past when he would play games with Rose and her brother.

            What was his name again? Alex? No that’s not it…Andrew? Oh I remember now it was Ashton. Nikolai thought back to when he was just a child. He would play hide and go seek with the two of them. Now that he thought about it, they always did find him within a matter of seconds, probably used to tracking things at that again.                  

             “Well I could use a warning next time before you drop in” Rose answered Ashton’s earlier remark with a cold voice.                  

             "Oh Rosie you're too cold to your dear older brother” Ashton whined sounding like a whimpering child who didn’t get a toy. A look of annoyance appeared on Rose’s face as she sipped her tea.                  

          “You need to grow up,” Rose responded as she set down her teacup with a slam, a chip appeared in the cup. Nikolai flinched a bit and fell into the door making it creak open