Chapter One: The High Council

The pale golden sunlight of an early May morning filtered through the stained glass windows of the royal council chamber

The pale golden sunlight of an early May morning filtered through the stained glass windows of the royal council chamber. In the days of Emperor Balsam, all of the six traditional seats were filled, but now, many of the chairs stood empty. Lord Bronze Braveblood had been dead eight months; Lady Solana Insidior was in prison, awaiting a trial for any part she could have played in the Emperor's mysterious death, six months ago; and Lord Aster Bleeding-Heart had been dismissed, his family in disgrace, leaving the position of High Chancellor vacant. The only three of the original councillors that remained were Lord Copper Braveblood, the Princess Regent's husband, a position of some influence, the General Bellatora Sanguis, who knew best the ways of war, and of course the Royal Advisor, Lord Anguis Insidior. But today, they were joined by two others who had never before sat at council: the young Prince Linden Coriander, and the Lady Wisteria Larkspur. 

Only three months passed since the Princess Yarrow assumed the title of Regent, and there is a great deal that needs to be decided. Both the positions of High Chancellor and Royal Steward remain empty; the High Chancellor is an important position, the duty of whom is to preside over court, much like a judge, when the ruling monarch cannot, and the Royal Steward not only has the job of running the household affairs of the castle, managing the duties of the servants, but also would rule in the monarch's absence. Whom the Princess Regent will appoint to these positions is something as yet undecided. In addition to that, the royal ambassadors from the Centaur nation arrived a mere week ago (or at least, three of them- the Princess Moon had been travelling, but promised to join them eventually), and steps taken to make them welcome are still being discussed. 

The council chamber is of course well-guarded, with none entering other than those whom Princess Yarrow has permitted, and the doors are guarded well by both royal bodyguards, Sir Misericordia and Sir Oblivium. 

Elsewhere, life in the castle continues as usual, with the servants (who all sleep in the same quarters together, in straw mattresses upon the floor), up before the break of day, are attending to their duties, of cooking, lighting fires, or perhaps carrying buckets of water to fill baths for the noble they attend. Those of higher birth are luckier, many only just now awakening to fill their day as they see fit, perhaps with pleasure walks about the palace gardens, or friendly sparring matches, chess games, dancing, sewing, or even hunting. 

{Welcome to the first chapter! Below, I will create a chat thread- please try to keep all out of character comments there. Multiple threads are fine for a setting like this (although I would like all of the Royal Council to please role-play in the same thread) but make sure not to ignore what others post in the eagerness of creating your own. Also, don't role-play in multiple threads at the same time if it doesn't make sense: you can't teleport. And remember, you can create new characters at any point in the role-play, as long as there are open roles. Have fun!}