Chapter Two: Choices

The evening banquet (for the nobility, that is) had ended, and the dying golden sunlight filtered in rainbow shards through the stained glass windows of the banquet hall

The evening banquet (for the nobility, that is) had ended, and the dying golden sunlight filtered in rainbow shards through the stained glass windows of the banquet hall. Some retired early to their rooms, perhaps to bathe or read before sleeping; the others remained in the hall as a fire roared in the hearth, relaxing with good company and possibly some music. As for the servants, once the banquet had been entirely cleared away, they were free to partake of their own meals in the kitchens, unless of course they were called away to assist one of the lords or ladies in preparing for bed. 

Many things had befallen in the course of the afternoon. Sir Misericordia had, unfortunately, fallen ill, and was unable to continue her duties as the Princess Regent's bodyguard, and so General Bellatora was, for the moment, appointed to the position until her sister could resume duties. Prince Linden had been given three days for his search for a Steward, and the council had decided to postpone both the appointment of Lord Poison Insidior to the position of High Chancellor until the same day, and any planning of festivities until there was a Steward to oversee them. It had been tacitly agreed that during these three days, the potential chancellor would be observed very closely, in order to determine if he were truly suitable. 

However, the cheer and tranquility of the evening were not to last, and a pall was cast over the gathering, when ill news was brought to the Princess Regent; Lady Wisteria Larkspur was dead. She had been found by one of the werecats, drowned in her bath after leaving the banquet early. Though of course there were whispers of darker things, it had been hard not to notice that Wisteria that evening had consumed far more wine and mead than was good for her...and it seemed that her death was a tragic accident. But of course, rumours have a habit of cropping up...

(Welcome to the second chapter! As before, keep out of character chat in the chat thread, don't teleport to multiple threads at the same time, and have fun. Also, remember that you can still create characters to play....and I highly encourage it!)