Chapter 8

Hand in hand, Pilo and Demini walked down the steps of the church toward the street. Off in the distance he noticed a raven perched on the rooftop of a building. The silhouette of the large, black bird caught Pilo's eye, making him think about some of the things he still had to learn about his curse. After holding up his end of the bargain, he wondered what Chloria had in store for him. Pressure in his hand brought his thoughts back to Demini. Together, they made a great team, and after tonight, they were more powerful than they had ever been. Feeling the change within their relationship, they exchanged flirtatious glances while walking down the moonlit street.

"We've got to get off the street, and get changed," Pilo informed Demini. "I'm sure the nuns have gotten word to the Peacekeepers by now. They'll be sending out Ghost Walkers soon. I don't want any confrontations with them."

"I can't help but to think that you still have a soft spot for them."

"They were my brothers, lover...There's nothing wrong in what they're doing."

"Except for the fact that they want us dead."

"For good reason."

"Do you think I'm a monster?"

Pilo brought their progression to a halt, and turned to lock eyes with Demini. "You are the most beautiful person that I've ever laid my eyes on. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for having you in my life. You have made this curse worth every torment."

"But I'm a monster?"

"You're not a monster, but we do evil things to live. Things that I'm not completely comfortable with."

"Do we deserve to die?"

"We deserve to live...and we will...Now, Bajai lives right up here. I thinks it's best for us to take refuge there for now."

"Is he still with that girl?"

"Yeah, I think they're turning at a high rate. They're bringing attention to themselves, but we should be good for a night."

Bajai, an original hunter, received his curse in the beginning, with the rest of the Counsel. He was a short man with dark brown, leathery skin, and black hair matching his bushy mustache. Before the curse, his infatuation lie with a tall young woman, Ladieta, and she wouldn't have anything to do with him. The curse caught her attention. In love with all things of a dark nature, the change in Bajai fueled her curiosity. When he showed her the things he had become, he hooked her interest, and she easily persuaded him to turn her. Once she had been turned, she put a lot of effort into bringing her fantasies to life.

Bajai and Ladieta lived above a hidden brothel they owned and managed. After a few turns, down a dead end alleyway, there stood a door in the shadow of overgrown vines. Out of the moonlight, Pilo knocked on the door. An eye slot opened, and their appearance got inspected. When their identity could be acknowledged, the door opened, and they were invited in. Instead of entering into the brothel, they were escorted to a side stairwell leading upstairs. Bajai met them in the hallway at the top of the stairwell. He wore a black vest over a white robe, and carried a smile on his face.

"Pilo, my friend," Bajai announced. "It's so good to see you. Please step this way so we can talk." He then turned his attention to Pilo's partner. "Demini, is it? Ladieta is waiting your arrival at the end of the hall. Meet with her, she'll take great care of you."

Pilo and Demini traded looks, and Demini silently agreed to separate. Bajai led Pilo into a seduction room connected to the hallway. It was filled with red drapes, and candles. Red velvet cushions, and pillows were strategically placed around the room. In the back of the room, a large bed covered by a black canopy, flickered underneath the candlelight. Bajai closed the door behind them, and grabbed Pilo by the shoulders.