👻chapter ㅡ e l e v e n👻

"Mom, this is ridiculous!"

"Unless you tell me what you've been doing when you skip school, you stick with the driver."

Kino shook his head and stormed off to his room, slamming the door. I ran to catch up on him and found him sitting on his bed, his hands clenched tightly. I sat beside him and in silence I said, "I'm sorry."

"Not your fault." He muttered under his breath.

"Yes, it is." I said. "If not for me, you wouldn't skip school. I'm so sorry."

He shook his head. "I don't need this right now, Yuna."

"I know, but I just want you to know that it's not your fault. I'm sorry you're grounded."

"How am I supposed to help you when I'm grounded?"

I breathed out, feeling every inch of me melting. "It's alright. I'll figure it out." I said softly.

He looked at me with a bitter chuckle. "You can't leave if I'm here."

I nodded. "I know, that's why I'll do the investigation during school time. We'll study things at nightㅡafter you've done your homework."

He rolled his eyes, laying his back on the headboard. "Now, you sound like you're grounding me too."

"I just want what's good for you."

He sighed as if giving up the argument. He rubbed his eyelids and said, "WellㅡI missed my bed."

I frowned, then chuckled. "You can have it back. I'll take the floor."

"No way!"

"Why?"

"You're a girl, you shouldㅡ"

"Kino, I'm a ghost."

"A girl ghost." He said.

A smile crept on my face. "I'm gonna be okay. I used to sleep in school alone, or in the library."

His face softened. "That must have been lonely."

I shrugged. "Well," I said with a sigh. "I'm glad you came."

When he didn't say anything and we just stared into each other's eyes for while, I cleared my throat and clapped my hands. "Let's start now. Ask Hwitaek if there's homework."

"Really, of all people, I have to ask Hwitaek?"

I grinned and wiggled my eyebrows. "I want to hear his voice, come on!"

"You give me goosebumps."

"I'm a ghost, duh."

He shook his head and took his phone, calling Hwitaek. He put it on loudspeaker.

"Hey, Hyunggu! What's up? You weren't in school today." Hwitaek said.

"Gosh. He's so friendly and nice." I gushed, making Kino frown.

"Yeah, I had to go somewhere. Do we have homework today?" he asked.

"When didn't we have homework?" Hwitaek replied with a chuckle.

"Can you text them to me?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Alright, thanks, man."

"Hey, we have a gig tomorrow night. You coming?"

Kino stopped short before saying, "I'll try."

"OK, see you tomorrow."

Once he received Hwitaek's text, he actually started doing his homework while I stared at the list of names Kino made the other day. Did I really try to kill myself or was I tried to be killed? If it's the latter, then why? I wrote, WHY, on the paper and circled it multiple times.