Chapter 3. Sold

I watch curiously and confused as men hold up signs in the crowd and Emily smiles and waves her elephants hand at them. After a few moments the big announcer voice starts again. “Going once, Twice…” I cover my ears whimpering frightened by the loud noise, and before I know it I'm being pulled up to stage and Emily is gone. I whimper and squint against the bright light hugging Rupert tightly. “And what's your name little one?” The man holding a microphone out to me smiles and I blush shyly. “A-amber s-s-sir” I manage to mumble out before hiding my face in Rupert soft fur when I bear a few chuckles in the crowd. I whimper and bite back tears, feeling very overwhelmed with the bright lights, people surrounding me, and the loud voice on the speakers I'm on the verge of breaking down in front of everyone. Finally, after what seems like an eternity in allowed to leave the stage and a woman leads me to a small room backstage, closing the door behind her without a word. I whimper and peak around my surroundings. It looks like I'm in a dressing room with a small chair and couch inside. I'm exhausted by this point and decide to take a nap, curling up on the couch with Rupert tucked tight to me under my chin and I'm out in seconds.