pattern

"No I wasn't," I deny.

"Yes you were. And you said something else. You said, 'I love the-"

"I didn't say anything," I quickly interrupt.

"Then are you gonna tell me why you were there at 11? And I thought I was the only one who ever went there."

I looked at him.

"Why were you there?" I return the question.

"Place of peace. Now answer me," he demands.

"No."

"How'd you even know of that place? It's deep in the woods."

"I wouldn't say deep. Just a cornerstone, only two people I know go there. I couldn't resist going back. It's a safe place. Your secret spot."

"Two other people? I'm there almost all of the time..." he says slowly.

"I know."

"I thought I was the only one," he says confused.

"Yeah you and one other person."

"Yeah, but that person said they'd never go back. They left it in a letter for me one day." He pulls out the letter. I'm surprised. He had this letter with him all the time?

"I know." I push away the laminated paper.

"L.. K.." he said slowly as if it was adding up in his head.

"Funny a day later we became friends.."

"Liza.."

"Don't ask."

"I- "

"Look. I don't want to talk about it."

"But Liza," he pleads.

"I told you I don't want to talk about it. Just- tell me when my parents get here. They're going to be wondering what the hell I was doing in the woods at 11 in the night."

"Well, it's 12 now."

He scratches his head and rubs the back of his neck as if I had messed with his head.

Never did he think that the person who left the letter would be someone who became a close friend in a matter of days.

The door opened quickly and my parents ran in.

"Elizabeth oh my god!" My mom yells. They both hug me tight.

"I'm so sorry I left the house and got hurt," I apologize.

"It's okay. We're just glad our baby is okay," my dad says.

"Who's this, sweetheart?" my mother asks, gesturing to David.

"My friend, he carried me out of the woods."

"Oh dear, sweetheart, you got a good friend. And someday you're gonna have to tell us why you were in the woods in the first place."

"I know," I say.

"So, we didn't catch your name hun?"

"David," he reaches his hand out and shakes with my dad, but my mom hugs him.

"Thank you David," she says.

"You were both there or what?" My dad asks.

"I just happened to be there too. Very coincidental, I know," he says.

"Okay."

I turned my body. It was like they only cared for a second, they already neglected me, or at least, that's how I felt. I know their gratitude was going towards David right now, but if they knew why I was there, they'd still be giving me attention.