two

a few weeks later

---

"c'mon, c'mon, c'mon." jax begged. "tell me who they are."

"jax, no." mil said, tightening the grip on the straps of her backpack.

"c'mo-o-on!" he begged. "i won't tell anyone."

"you don't have anyone to tell besides me, jax."

"ouch." jax said, clutching his arm. "that one cut deep."

"sorry." mil said. "but it's true. and i'm still not telling you!"

"please?"

"jax--"

"out of the way, kids!" a senior boy yelled. "the new captain of the track team is coming through."

"shut up, hunter." dan said, playfully punching his friend's chest.

"well," he said, "it's true."

"not officially. it's up for debate." dan said. mil looked at him and blushed, avoiding eye contact. jax noticed this action and began to laugh wildly, leaning up against the lockers as he attempted to catch his breath.

"what?" mil asked, a tone of annoyance streaking her voice."

"daniel roberts?" jax said. "really?"

"yeah." mil shot back. "what's wrong with him?"

"nothing, i just assumed he wasn't your type."

"i'm so proud of you, baby." mil heard a voice say. she looked back over at daniel, who was now looking down at a girl with bleached blonde hair, wearing a red tube top and jean shorts.

"thanks, audrey." he smiled, attempting to pull away. but the girl took that as a playful gesture rather than resistance, and she grabbed him by the collar and kissed him on the lips. mil's face fell and she sighed, walking over to her locker and began to twist the combination into the lock.

"mil..." jax sighed, "i'm so sorry..."

"it's fine." mil dismissed the comment and turned away.

"look, he didn't seem to enjoy it, okay? don't worry about it." mil tossed her locker door open and a small white slip of paper fell out.

"what's tha--"

"nothing. it's nothing, okay?" mil said, shoving the note into her backpack. "i just want to get to class."