seven

mil let out a groan as she awoke, a throbbing pain present in her head. she laid back onto the pillows and pulled the blankets up to her chin. she rolled over in bed and gasped when she realized this was not her bedroom. 

"shit..." she said softly. she looked down and saw that she was not wearing the nice top and jeans from last night, but rather a pair of shorts and a sweatshirt that wasn't hers. she looked over the side of the bed to see daniel lying on the floor, fast asleep. his lips were slightly parted to allow him to breathe, and his dark brown hair was messy and tangled. he was using his backpack as a pillow, and his letterman jacket was draped over his shoulders. he let out a yawn and opened his eyes, rubbing them as he sat up. 

"g'morning." dan smiled sleepily.

"h-hi." mil stuttered nervously. 

"is everything okay?"

"yeah..." she said. "what happened last night?"

"well," dan said, "you went to xander's party, you drank spiked punch, i took you home, you almost threw up, and then you passed out in my bed, so now you're here with me."

"god," mil mumbled, "i must have looked like such an idiot."

"no, no, no." dan replied. "it's okay, really. you didn't know there was alcohol in the punch."

"okay." mil said. "that makes me feel marginally better. dan stood up and walked over to his closet. he was wearing a sweatshirt, but mil could tell he was just wearing boxer shorts underneath. 

eyes above the waist, eyes above the waist, eyes above the wait. she repeated to herself. "eyes above the waist--" she whispered, clamping a hand over her mouth once she realized she had said it out loud. 

"what?" dan said, turning around.

"nothing." mil squeaked out. dan shrugged and turned around, sliding on a pair of jeans. "wait..." she said. 

"yeah?"

"did anything..." mil said, gesturing at the bed, "y'know...happen between us?"

"what?" dan said. "no! oh, god no! that would have been taking advantage of you, and i'd never do that."

"oh..okay." mil said. dan walked over to his dresser and pulled something out of a small case. he slid on his glasses and tried to fix his hair in the mirror, as mil looked at him in surprise. 

"what?"

"it's just..." mil said. "i didn't know you wore glasses."

"well," dan smiled. "i do. i usually wear contacts though. i'm really self-conscious."

"you should wear them more often." mil smiled. "you look really sexy in them." she paused and buried her reddening face in her hands. "fuck, i didn't mean it like that--"

yes you did

"it's okay." dan laughed. "now, c'mon sleepyhead. i'll make you some breakfast."

"but...what if your parents see me?"

"i live alone." dan said. he helped mil up and they walked to the kitchen. once they arrived, mil sat down at the breakfast bar and shot him a confused look.

"what?" 

"yeah..." dan chuckled, turning on the stove and cracking an egg. "i've had a few small jobs here and there that have helped me pay rent. once i graduate though, i'm heading off to college."

"sounds like you've got your whole life planned out, dan."

"no." dan said. "i'm far from it."

"well," mil sighed, "take it in baby steps. it's more fun that way."

"okay then." dan said, turning the stove up higher. "how's this for a baby step; you and i having dinner next friday?"

"like..." mil asked as her heart raced, "a date--?"

"whatever you want it to be." dan said, leaning forward and resting his chin on his fists. 

"sure." mil said. "be a gentleman and pick me up at six."

"sure thing, sweetheart." dan winked.  he turned around and slid the eggs onto a plate along with a piece of toast. "enjoy." mil took a bite of the breakfast and smiled. 

"mmm...thank you."

"do you want to watch netflix as you eat?"

"yes, please." they walked over to the couch and sat down, each at their own oppisite ends of the couch. 

"you don't have to be all the way over there, mil." dan said. "you can come sit by me." 

"okay." mil scooted over and sat next do dan as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. she leaned into his embrace and placed her head on his shoulder as she felt her cheeks grow hot. 

"this is nice." dan murmured.

"yeah. it really is."