five

AN: i edited this so i could move the story in a different direction...sorry

~

"okay." dan said, leaning over and looking at the textbook. "so this is a root raised to a fractional power. so what would you do here?"

"make the denominator the root, and then raise the root to the power of the numerator?"

"yeah!" dan said, sipping his drink. "you got it!" you're doing so well, mil."

"t-thanks." mil blushed, looking down at the hamburger in front of her. they sat in silencie for a few minutes, as mil attempted to avoid eye contact. 

"do you need a ride home?" dan asked, stirring his drink with the straw.

"no." mil replied. "i've got to go into town, but thanks."

"okay." dan said. 

more silencie. 

"y'know what?" dan asked. he leaned across the table and grabbed the textbook, and shoved it into his bag. "we don't need to do this."

"what?" mil said. "b-but i needed that for tutoring..."

"not if we're not doing tutoring. you've got all the questions right, so i have a feeling you don't need this. but i still want to talk to you."

"r-really?"

"yeah." dan smiled. "you seem really cool."

"i thought you'd think i was a loser--"

"why?"

"well...you're a senior, i'm a junior."

"but we're the same age." dan replied. "you're eighteen, right?"

"yeah."

"see?" dan said. "i don't think you're a loser. i don't think anyone is a loser." he paused for a second, and then muttered, "except for that sophomore class...they're pains in my ass." mil giggled quietly, earning a smile from dan. 

"y-yeah..." mil said. "they are pretty annoying. and some of them hold parties in my neighborhood, so it can get really loud some nights."

"actually, speaking of parties," dan said, "my friend xander is having some people over tonight, and he said i can bring someone. would you like to come?"

"i-i'd love that." mil replied. "thank you!"

"of course, mil." dan smiled. he checked his phone and stood up quickly. "shit," he cursed, "i'm going to be late for track. it was nice hanging out with you." he pulled his wallet out of his backpack and tossed a twenty on the table. "this should be enough." he said. "oh," he said, grabbing the corner of the sheet of paper mil was taking notes on and scribbled his number down. "call me if you need anything." he winked, then ran out of the diner. mil smiled happily to herself, then pulled out her phone immediatley to text jax. 

mil: guess who just got an invite to a  s e n i o r  party?

jax: holy shit

jax: wait acutally

jax: omgomgomgomg

jax: the sHIP IS SAILING

mil: shhh calm down

jax: tbh i was going anyways.

mil: you're not a senior

mil: you have no friends other than me

mil: so what gives, buddy boy?

jax: okay, firstly, fuck you

jax: secondly, don't ever call me 'buddy boy' again

jax: thirdly, i'm well connected

mil: you just begged xander for an invite didn't you?

jax: i may or may not have done his metacritical essay for him in english

mil: wow okay

jax: do you want a ride to the party?

mil: yeah that'd be great

jax: i'll pick you up at eight

mil: see you there...

mil: b u d d y  b o y

jax: oh for fucks sake