DEPRESSION || 1

Video Above: Rachel Platten - Fight Song

In psychotherapy and psychiatry, depression is a state of mind producing serious, long-term lowering of enjoyment of life or inability to visualize a happy future. It is persistent feeling of sadness.

Everyone can relate to day to day sadness or even the Monday morning blues but when you are depressed, the feeling is totally different.

If you find yourself crying continuously for no possible reason, disconnecting yourself from friends and Family, lacking interest in things that were once on your priority list, having suicidal thoughts or suicide attempts and breaking stuff,  There is a possibility that you might be depressed.

No one deserves to be depressed.

Depression is sad, very sad. Sitting there in an oversized hoodie with your hands cupping your cheeks, intentionally listening to depressing music to worsen the mood is quite common. We usually listen to uplifting music when we are sad but for some strange reason, when we are depressed we always tend to do the opposite.

No matter how positive and optimistic we are, when depression hits, our minds are clouded with dark thoughts. Nothing seems alright anymore.  But it is during those times we realize that life is worth living.
Though it might be hard, trying to overcome those mental taunts should be our main priority.

The voice says take the knife but we have to think of all the reasons why we shouldn't. Think of life, our loved ones, our friends and the dreams that are waiting to be fulfilled.

Get to the source. Think.

What is causing this? When did it start?

When you find the reason then it is time to think of the things you can do to fix it, permanently.

Ian Cook MD, says creating a routine is very effective. When you are depressed, every day of the week tend to be the same. Especially if you're at home, no school or work.

Also, restructure your mind. Once your mind is right, everything else will gradually fall in place.

Stay occupied. Do extra curricular activities in school, find yourself a nice job, join a club or simply write a new book! Give yourself no time to think about what might go wrong or what is going wrong. Get busy and stay busy.

I've never seen an article or read a book which defines depression as being permanent. Don't walk around looking all gloomy like there is no hope because hope is always there. It might be serious or long-term but I'm pretty sure it won't be forever, unless you want it to.

Keep reminding yourself that, this too shall pass.

Biblical Wisdom: Matthew 11:28 & Psalms 30:5