The Prison Experience

The prison was everything we hoped and dreamed it could be. I mean the only thing that would make it a downer was the fact that it was a prison, but the fact that it was the safest we've been in months was sweet relief. Beth, despite my feelings towards her in the past, has been helping me with Cal whenever I need to run my shift, or even when Daryl is on his shift.

We have taken control of the entire prison and have managed to even find some people that weren't from our group and take them in. Hershel and Jenner were considered the doctors and took control of the medical bay that was here. With my blessing, after much persuasion Jenner is testing Cal's blood for the cure.

I don't understand how my sons blood could lead to the cure, but I guess I couldn't put down an idea in a world that we were living in right now. There were many jobs that needed to be done on the farm, such as the farming....it was Rick's job mostly. The clearing of fences, we all took turns doing that. Stnading guard at the watch tower for herds, again we all took turns doing that. Then there were runs, we all tried to get out, even fought to go on the runs.

Daryl is Daryl, he has his good and bad days. You could tell when things between us get tense because he won't eat at the same time when I do, but he always comes to me at night and we make up. Its a rollercoaster relationship with him. Something that I am getting used to.

I don't expect him to chance and I would never ask that of him, whenever we fight he never lets it affect Callum. He is always there to take care of him, change his dipper and feeding him. He could be dead asleep one second and then up the next. I would only catch him sometimes because he would wake up even before Callum would start to cry, it's like he has a sixth sense or somethin with him. 

"Hey," speak of the of the devil. I looked at him and smiled softly as I had Callum in my at under a blanket feeding from me. He was leaning against the cell door way with the bedsheet curtain pulled back far enough for him to peek his head in.

"Hey," I whispered back, he shuffled into the room with quiet footsteps.

"Rick thinks we should go out further looking for supplies, so it's gonna take a couple days to be there and back."

I looked at him surprised, "Really? I thought we were good on supplies."

"We are good on supplies, but there are some supplies that I want to get that are a little bit further," he admitted as he sat at the foot of the bed.

"Like what?" I asked him softly tilting my head to the side, he looked down for a second before meeting my eyes again.

"Like a crib, Cal deserves a crib, not a basket. And actual blankets for him and us, I can feel you shivering beside  me at night. and maybe even a thicker matrass. Glenn and Maggie did, I think we both deserve better too, so if it means a few days away then I'm willing to do it."

I bit my lip, and to save us a fight because I knew he would still go even if I said no, I just sighed.

"I can say no, but I know you'd do it anyway. Just be careful?"

I saw him smile lightly, he stood and moved over to me. He bent over swiftly and kissed my forehead.

"You know I will, I leave in the morning," he said as he rested his hand on my thigh. I smiled and kissed his lips.

"I love you."

"And I love you."