-tissue paper stars

The day of the Winter formal is a big day. It's their first dance with Allison and Aiden, and Ethan's left. But Cora is back and enroled in Beacon Hills high school for now, so it builds the numbers back up in their group sort of.

But still, they feel empty. At least a little bit.

Scott has asked Kira, but Stiles sees his eyes flicker with memories as she talks about what dress she should get, and how she tucks her hair behind her ear.
It's been quite soon still, the wounds sealed but not properly healed.

Cora goes with a boy in the year younger than them, who's fascination with motorcycles, wolves and nature interested her. When questioned, she rolled her eyes and said bluntly 'Don't you see the irony?'

And Stiles asks Lydia. She says yes, exactly like she did last time, but with a smile and no need for revenge. She goes because she wants to.

They pull up in Stiles' old jeep, blaring We Are The Champions because their argument is why the hell not? Stiles opens the door for Lydia, who smiles, pushing her hair back, and takes his hand aswell.

She looks stunning in a cream dress, hair twirled up artistically. Stiles thinks that she looks beautiful, even when she told him she should have made a better effort. Lydia thinks the same of Stiles. Since he's grown up, the suit looks amazing, his hair fluffed up perfectly to match. A skinny green tie coordinates with the flowers around Lydia's wrist.

They dance for hours, and pose and take photos for the school and funny pictures with their friends, then spend ages eating. When the last song plays, Kira and Scott are sat cross legged against the wall, grinning and talking animatedly.

'C'mon, Stiles.' Lydia says, and grabs his wrist, pulling him to the main part of the hall. They slow dance beneath tissue paper stars and blue seas of ribbon, surrounded by their classmates. Lydia's head rests on his shoulder, her arms around his neck and her heart thudding against his chest. Stiles grins.

When the teachers are packing up and herding everyone out, Stiles and Lydia steal some leftover curly fries and bits of seasoned chicken and prawn crackers and run back to the jeep laughing. Lydia dares Stiles to see how many curly fries he can eat in a minute, which she realises is a mistake; they're all gone when the timer hits fifty eight seconds.

So Lydia pays him back by eating the prawn crackers. Stiles complains for a bit, but Lydia just turns the music up to ignore him. Her fingers brush the strings attached to the air fresherner, and for a second, she can hear them.
But she pushes it away; this is her night, her dance, and nothing supernatural in the slightest is going to get in her way.

At one forty seven am, Lydia decides it might be a good idea to go home now. Stiles drives back, and the music still plays, although not as loudly. They finish off the bits of chicken, and when they pull up infront of Lydia's house, Stiles insists on opening her door for her.

Just before she leaves to walk into her house, she reaches up on her tiptoes and kisses Stiles' cheek. He flushes, his almond eyes widening and darting around nervously. Lydia just smiles, and walks away in a cloud of cream fabric and green flowers.

When she goes into her house, Stiles gets back in the jeep and listens to happy music until he gets home, on a complete high from excitement.

+++

long author's note ish now.

this is a sort of experiment with a style, so sorry if it was bad:| and when i hit 1000 reads -i can't even believe it's got this high already so tysm- i'm thinking of writing a biggg chapter, so if you have any ideas, just comment please:) and can we get some votes on this chapter? ily guys