11 - Early Valentines Makes Time Fly

Previously on Showmanship

   We both sat quietly for a long while. I wasn't sure what she was thinking, but I knew what I was thinking. My brain was doing a happy dance. Everyone of the songs on my second year "this is for you Selene" playlist was now playing for Dorothy.

I can promise you if my legs hadn't gone numb out of shock I would have been jumping up and down like a happy teenage girl.

But all I could really get out was a bunch of heavy breathing, a dopey smile, and "I - uh".

Dorothy smiled. Her freckles that were enough to make a person go crazy wrinkled up. "I have an uber coming to pick me up, in like a minu-"

And don't get me wrong I hated to interrupt Dorothy, but if I wasn't going to be able to kiss that adorable smile off of her face any sooner I was going to loose it.

I flung myself of that swing and kissed Dorothy. I realized that life wasn't going to give me some special moment, or some signal to make the move. I had to, just, go for it.

And that was what truly made it a perfect moment.

I wasn't sitting uncomfortably on the wood chipped ground as I kissed her. Even with her having to awkwardly lean down to kiss me from her spot on the swing. It was still perfect. The whole moment.

And I had decided to hold her face in my hands, so I could feel her cheeks start to get warmer. I could feel the smile plastered on her face, and how it never faded.

I didn't really want to move either. The warmth from her was enough to fight the nippy cold air away.

Until I heard a car drive down the road, and I had to let go of the kiss. If I didn't she would have missed her Uber.

Our faces finally parted, but still we didn't get any farther than two inches away from each other.

Dorothy just started to giggle and let out. "James Gillian, why didn't you do that two months ago?"

    I leant in for another kiss, holding the shape of her cheeks and taking in the smell of her cherry shampoo. Having her by me reminded me of pop rocks, or the one and only time I went on a rollercoaster because Alex made me.

     I felt kinda invincible.

    Then Dorothy let go of the kiss, taking my hands in hers. She spoke out my name. "James"

     And then again. "James." "James?" "James?!" "James!"

    Suddenly a very angry empty milk jug had been thrown at my head. "JAMES!"

     Alex was trying his best not to jump over the kitchen island and punch me in the stomach. I daydream once while he blabbers on about the new IPhone, and I get recycling thrown at me.

     I sadly realized with that, that I wasn't in that park with Dorthy's arms around my neck. I was in my kitchen, on a bright January morning, and my roommate was about to wrap his arms around my neck by strangling me.

      The milk jug sat sideways on the tile floor of the kitchen.

      "You need to pickup milk at the store." He said, his tone purposely gritty. He was trying to be scary, but I had witnessed a lot scarier in my life. Alex not getting his cup of coffee was nothing.