Chapter One

I heard my alarm start blaring at 7:00 am on a warm August day. I groaned, remembering why I was up this early. It was the first day of school, which meant my first day of 8th grade.

"Get up! Time to go to your favorite place on earth!" my mom's boyfriend, John, yelled on the other side of my door. "I made waffles," he bribed. I sat up in bed, rolled onto the floor, and told him to come in.

"Is the floor comfy Elle?" he asked with sarcasm in his voice. I gave him a glare that said "don't mess with me right now unless you want your head to be bitten off by a ravenous teenager." He held out a plate of waffles as Madison, his 9 year old daughter, came into my room. She was just like me in the mornings, mean and hungry. She laid down next to me and I held her closely. She and I were close and very much alike.

  "So no one wants to go to school today? Wow, I was planning on taking you both to Starbucks before school, but I guess not anymore!" He said, a bit too cheery. Madi and I lifted our heads and started mumbling . He knew our weakness. I stood up and helped the sleepy nine-year-old blob that was my step-sister up. She went into her room to get changed into her school uniform for her fancy rich kid private school.

I, on the other hand, went to the nearest middle school that wasn't particularly nice. Don't get me wrong, it wasn' t in the ghetto or anything, but the kids weren't angels. It wasn't terrible though.

I pulled on my favorite pair of skinny jeans and a black crop top. My shirt was against dress code, but I didn't really care. I went into the bathroom that I share with Madi to put on my 5 pounds of makeup and pull my short bobbed hair up.

As I ate my waffles, I checked my texts. They were all from people from school... except for one. One was from Gage. I automatically broke into a smile.

Gage: I'm gonna miss you today baby <3

Me: I'm gonna miss you too. Time to deal with all of the fuckboys and basic bitches :(

Gage: High school isn't much better tbh. At least I get to see you after school.

Me: I'm so excited! Alright I gtg. Love you babe <3

Gage: Love you too baby. Text me during lunch

I ran down the stairs, still giddy. Gage and I had met over the summer and had been dating for 2 and a half months. My parents love him which is great for me. He was 15 and he was just starting Sophomore year at the high school down the street. We hung out almost every day of the summer and were basically inseparable.

"Ready for your first day?" I heard from behind me. I spun around to find Gage standing there. I jumped on him before questioning why he was here. "I still have 10 minutes before first period. I figured I'd stop by and say hey to everyone. Oh and give you this," he leaned down and kissed me. I laughed while John came in.

"Hey Gage. Aren't you supposed to be at school?" John questioned. "I had a little time to stop by so I figured I would. I shall be off now though. Hi Madi, bye Madi! Love you Elle," he shouted before darting out of the door.

"Well that was sweet, but you have to get to school. Grab your stuff and let's go!" John said, a bit too excitedly. I grabbed my backpack and hopped into his truck while Madi got her shoes on. I can survive this day.