Expedition To The West Part 4

Li Ping thought, "That is a proper thing to do, but how can I let you be the last descendant of the Guo family? Nevertheless, this child is the same as his father, both were stubborn. Once they made a decision what other people say would be useless." Thereupon she asked, "How are you going to report to the Great Khan?"

"I will tell the Great Khan the truth," Guo Jing answered.

Li Ping was willing to support her son's intention. "Good," she said, "We can't put this off much longer. Go ahead and say thank you to the Great Khan, we, mother and son, will leave for the south even today." Guo Jing nodded his approval.

That very same evening mother and son prepared their bags. Other than a few changes of clothes and some silvers, they left the Great Khan's gifts in the tent.

As soon as they were finished Guo Jing said, "I am going to take my leave from the Princess."

Li Ping hesitated, "How can you tell her? We'd better leave quietly, spare her the heartache," she said.

"No," Guo Jing said, "I will personally tell her." Leaving his tent, he walked towards Huazheng's tent.

Huazheng and her mother lived in a big tent; they were busy discussing the wedding preparation. Suddenly Huazheng heard Guo Jing's voice calling her from outside the tent. She was blushing, "Ma!" she said.

Her mother smiled, "You are going to get married in a few days, yet you cannot bear not to see each other for just a day. All right, you may go."

Huazheng smiled and walked out the tent. "Guo Jing Gege [big brother]," she called.

"Meizi [younger sister], I have something I need to tell you," Guo Jing said. He led her walking to the west. Two people walked several li's into the prairie, far from the big camp, and sat side by side on the grass.

Huazheng leaned against Guo Jing's body. Lowering her head she said, "Jing Gege, I also have something I want to tell you."

Guo Jing was slightly startled, "Ah! So you know already?" he said. He thought it would be better for her to find out, since he did not know where to start.

"Know what?" Huazheng was confused, "I wanted to tell you that I am not the Great Khan's daughter."

"What?" Guo Jing was surprised.

Huazheng lifted up her eyes toward the crescent moon on the horizon, she slowly said, "After I am married to you, I will forget that I am the Great Khan's daughter, I am only Guo Jing's wife. If you want to beat me or scold me, go ahead and do it. Don't think that because my father is the Great Khan you have to submit to me."

Guo Jing felt a mixture of bitter-sweet and warm and fuzzy feeling in his heart, he said, "Meizi, you treated me very well. It's a pity I don't deserve to have you."

"What do you mean you don't deserve me?" Huazheng countered, "You are the kindest man in the world, except for my father, nobody is better than you. Even my four elder brothers don't hold a candle compared to you."

Guo Jing was silent for a long time; he was going to leave Mongolia for the south early in the morning the next day, yet he did not know how to tell her.

Huazheng continued, "These past several days I have been so happy. I remember that time when I heard you had died I was going to die with you. Lucky for me Brother Tuolei snatched the dagger from my hand; otherwise how can I marry you now? Guo Jing Gege, I'd rather die than not being your wife."

Guo Jing silently thought, "Rong'er won't talk to me like this; but both of them are very kind to me." Thinking about Huang Rong he could not help letting out a long sigh.

"Uh, why did you sigh?" Huazheng wondered.

"It was nothing," Guo Jing reluctantly said.

Huazheng said, "Hmm, my first brother and second brother didn't like you, but my third brother and fourth brother are very fond of you. I have told my father frankly that the first brother and second brother are not good, third brother and fourth brother are good, so you don't have to worry."

"Why would I worry?" Guo Jing wondered.

Huazheng was very proud of herself, "I heard mother said that since Father is getting older, he wants to appoint the Khan's Crown Prince. Can you guess who will be chosen?"

"Naturally your first brother, Jochi. Not only he is the oldest, but has rendered most service as well," Guo Jing said.

Huazheng shook her head, "My guess is not the first brother, most likely the third brother, or even the fourth brother."

Guo Jing knew Genghis Khan's eldest son Jochi was smart and very competent; the second son, Chagatai was brave and a good strategist. These two men did not bow to each other, their competition was most ardent. The third son Ogedei loved to drink and to hunt; generosity was one of his traits. He realized that after his father passed away, the successor would be either his first or second brother. But among the four princes of the Khan, actually Tuolei was his father's favorite. He realized he had no chance to become the next Khan; therefore, he had never fought over the position of the crown prince. He was in good terms with all of his three brothers.

Guo Jing was not convinced by Huazheng's explanation, "Would the Great Khan appoint the Khan's Crown Prince based on what you said?" he asked.

"I am not sure about that either," Huazheng said, "That was my blind guess. But even if the first brother or the second brother becomes the next Khan, you don't have to worry either. If they make things difficult for you, I will fight them to the death." Huazheng was Genghis Khan's beloved daughter; 30% of the time her four elder brothers yielded to her.

Guo Jing knew she would do what she said; he slightly smile and said, "You don't have to do that."

"Why not?" Huazheng said, "If my brothers don't treat us nicely, we can go together to the south."

"That's what I was going to say," Guo Jing blurted, "I must go back to the south."

Huazheng was silent for a moment, "I am afraid mother and father won't let me go," she said.

"It's only me ..." Guo Jing started to say, but Huazheng cut him off, "Hmm, I will always listen to you. If you say we are going south, I am coming with you. If mother and father won't give their permission, we'll elope."

Guo Jing could not hold himself much longer, he jumped and stood up, "It's only two people, me and my mother who are going back south," he said. Having said this, one was standing up, the other was sitting down, four eyes looked at each other, both stayed still like a pair or statues.

Huazheng's face showed confusion and despair, she did not understand what he was saying. "Meizi," Guo Jing broke the silence, "Please forgive me! I can't marry you."

"Why? What did I do wrong? You are blaming me for not killing myself, are you not?" Huazheng was confused.

Guo Jing almost shouted, "NO! No! It's not your fault. I don't know whose fault it is; I have thought back and forth, and if I should blame anybody, it should be me."

Henceforth he started telling Huazheng everything about Huang Rong. When he got to the part on how Huang Rong was currently held captive by Ouyang Feng, and that he had searched high and low for half a year without finding any trace of her; Huazheng could feel the excitement in his voice, she was unable to hold her tears from falling down.

Finally Guo Jing said, "Meizi, please just forget me, I must go and look for her."

"After you found her, would you come back here looking for me?" Huazheng asked.

"If she is safe and well, I will certainly go back north," Guo Jing promised, "At that time, if you did not shut me off and still want me, I will marry you. I definitely won't regret it."

Huazheng slowly said, "You don't have to say that. You know I will always want you to marry me. Go and find her, whether it will be ten years, twenty years, as long as I am still alive, I am going to wait for you in this grassland."

Guo Jing was excited, "Yes," he exclaimed, "Ten years, twenty years, I am going to look for her. Ten years, twenty years, I will also remember that you are waiting for me in this grassland."

Huazheng sprang up and threw herself into his bosom, weeping uncontrollably. Guo Jing embraced her gently, his eyes were turning red. Two people hugged each other without saying anything. Things had come this far, they knew if they say another word they would only grieve the other.