Chapter 10 - Depressed

Depressed

adjective – 1. severely despondent and dejected. 2. suffering the damaging effects of economic recession.

Considering I'm not 'suffering the damaging effects' of the recession, I had to assume the dictionary was wrong again.

The news that James Roberts and Lucy Cross were going to Prom together was counted almost as mediocre gossip, so by next period, the whole school knew.

"I guess it must be pretty irritating though..." muttered Sophie popping a chip in her mouth and holding the bag out to me. It was after school hours now, but Lucy and James were still in school helping organise for Prom, and Xandrell had stayed behind to help. After finding me in the toilets sobbing my heart out, Sophie and Tasha had gotten most of the story out of me, and resolved we'd get some chips after school to cheer me up a bit. "I mean, he'd just asked you not five minutes earlier... why did you say he went back on it?"

"Obviously a change of heart." I muttered taking a chip. "I mean, hey, I'm fine with it. He and Lucy would look great together."

Tasha snorted into her diet coke while Sophie and I blinked at her. "What?"

"Well..." said Tasha lowering her drink and frowning. "To be honest I don't think they'd look so good together..."

I raised an eyebrow. "Listen, I'm annoyed at her too, but I'm not gonna go bitchy at her."

"Neither am I!" cried Tasha indignantly. "I've got nothing against Lucy! Just... well are they going to go colour coordinated?"

I shook my head exasperatedly at her. "I didn't exactly get a chance to ask."

"Well, in my mind, Lucy really needs a purple dress, that'd suit her best, while James I think would look great in either blue, or maybe green. Not sure which."

"Tash, do you have a point with this?"

"Well, they'd clash at prom wouldn't they!" cried Tasha, as if this were the most obvious thing in the world. "Therefore, they shouldn't go together!"

"James would be wearing like a suit or something at prom anyway, and I can really see him going for traditional black." Sophie muttered.

"Oh, well then they might go, I don't really know..." said Tasha obviously distracted.

"You're not really helping you know." I said pointedly, taking another chip. "Look, I'll be fine, me and Xandrell dancing the night away." I pulled a slightly disgusted face as I said it. "Oh what fun. I suppose I'll have to teach him the Macarena."

"Why would you have to go with Xandrell?" Tasha looked up confused. "I thought you weren't going out."

"Oh we're not." I sighed. "But he's the reason I'm not going with James."

I proceeded to tell them exactly what had happened, leaving out no details this time. By the time I had finished, Tasha was frowning, while Sophie looked nothing short of furious.

"Who the hell does he think he is?" she yelled, making an old man walking past jump and look around. "He didn't even ask you!"

"Yeah..." said Tasha, frowning still more. "Doesn't even give anyone else a chance."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you aware you just said that out loud?"

"Well it's true." said Tasha, shrugging. "You know Darcy?"

"What the village bike with DD bras?" I muttered. None of us were overly keen on Darcy. She was the sort of girl who wore too much makeup and had a different guy in her bed every night.