Chapter 2 - Miracle

Miracle
noun- 1. an extraordinary and welcome event attributed to a divine agency. 2. a remarkable and very welcome occurrence. 3. an outstanding example, specimen, or achievement.

In this case, the dictionary is right to a certain extent. It just missed out one detail.

Every so often I drifted back to the surface of the dark haze that had settled over my mind to groan in pain for a second before slipping under again, the way a swimmer takes a tiny gasp of air before vanishing under the surface of the pool. I was only aware of three things. The first was the steadily darkening sky, with the thousands of stars beginning to poke through the rain clouds above me. The second was agony pulsing through me, every last bit of me ached. The third was the fact that someone, or something had found me...

I was just barely aware of their presence when I surfaced the first time, but as I rose from the depths of pain each time, their presence became more and more obvious. Eventually, I surfaced from the darkness long enough to look at the figure beside me.

I realised now that it was a guy... he looked between about sixteen and eighteen. I was sure I'd be able to tell easier in better light. He had longish dark hair and dark eyes... again I couldn't tell in this light. He was looking down at me his eyes full of concern. I was suddenly very aware as my eyes flicked down to look at his chest, that he was completely naked. My eyes flicked back up to his face, anxious not to look at his six pack stomach, his defined muscled arms and definitely NOT any lower...

"Hello." he whispered. His voice was soft and gentle, rather than a gruff voice, which I thought he should have... but I preferred this voice... it made him seem like he was beautiful both inside and out. "Are you alright?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. "Oh yes, I'm just peachy keen, thanks for asking."

He looked thoroughly confused. "What?"

"Sarcasm is a foreign language to you isn't it?" I frowned up at him. "What are you doing down here anyway?"

"I came to make sure you were alright." he said looking cautious. "Should I go?"

"No." I groaned. "Unless you're going for an ambulance or something... I don't think I need one... I think..." I put a hand down and tried to lift myself up when pain rocketed through my body. I cried out and fell back into the mud. God, was I going to need a bath when this was over. I lay where I was gritting my teeth and breathing hard, squeezing my eyes tightly shut, trying to overcome the pain shredding my body. I must've broken at least a bone or two. I dreaded to think the state I was in.

"I'm Xandrell." murmured his soft voice.

"Amy." I grunted through my gritted teeth. His name however, as he said it, seemed to have a slightly calming effect on me... well as calming as it can be when you're being spoken to by a naked guy who seems to have no idea what to do, can't even understand sarcasm, and he's your only hope of salvation.

"I think I can help you." he suddenly said quietly.

My eyes snapped open. "You can?" I moaned desperately. "Please! Please take away the pain."

He moved down towards me, so close I could smell his sweet breath. His cold hand gently stroked my cheek with a feather-light touch. His hand was like velvet... slowly his face came closer and closer to me, and very carefully and cautiously, he pressed his lips to mine.

It took me a full minute to realise what he was doing, but I was too weak to protest. I felt my stomach squirming as he ran his fingers through my hair. Eventually, he pulled away from me and opened his eyes to look down into mine. He gave a little smile. I lay there, staring up at him in shock. That wasn't exactly what I had been expecting. "I think Amy, you should get some rest now."