Chapter 1 (Continued)

"Wait... what did you just say? 'Take 'em'? You're not getting rid of me... right?" They looked at me and rolled their eyes. "What else would we be referring to? The grim reaper taking your shitty little soul? We don't have enough money, and you're too much to worry 'bout. We at least brought your stuff. Be grateful, lil' fuck." My own mother hissed. I... I can't believe this... They really don't care about me? This is... 

"This is fucked up!" I snap, grabbing my mother's shirt. 

"You aren't going to leave me at this summer camp for the rest of my li-" something hit my face. It felt like millions of needles poking into my delicate childish skin, making me lose my grip. Impact hit my spine, my head spinning as I hit the ground and rolled like a fish on land. She hit me. 

  David stared at me in horror. He looked up at the woman that I no longer feel to think she deserves to be called my mother. 

"I'm sorry ma'am, b-but that's illegal to hurt a child... That's considered child abuse..."

"Suck a dick, Danny!" The two shouted, stomping into the car and driving off, all of my stuff flying from the car. I snapped out of it and got up and chased after the car. 

"MOM! DAD! COME BACK HERE!" I stumble through the dirt and tripping over the medium rocks and racing to the car. The car speeds up. I feel something on my face. I ignore it. My head hurts and my heart was pounding like a drum, with each beat pushing against my ribs. I grab my aching chest, and kept on running as fast as I could. Pushing myself to go as fast as I could, and while panting, I grabbed a rock and limply chucked it at the speeding car, hitting the back window and the glass shatters... like my heart. 

I don't remember exactly what happened after the glass shattering, but all I remember is everything going black. I think I... overwhelmed my heart. It doesn't help at all that my shitty soul is now in a million pieces that I can't put back together... I don't want to live with David. I just - don't wanna. 

"Max? Maaaax?" A soft, familiar voice hit my ears, my body being lightly shook around by gentle hands. "Mm... five more minutes..." I groan at the light of the setting sun. "Oh my gosh, Max! You scared me to death! Are you okay?!" I slightly open my eyes, seeing a fuzzy face with ramped hair. "D-David...?" I squint, slowly making out the face little by little. David quickly nodded, a nervous and worried expression plastered on his lightly freckled face. I push him away, sitting up. "Go. Away." David was kneeling down low to my level, resting his elbow on his knee and his head resting on his palm. There was dirt all over my clothes and hands. Some was even on my face. I felt sick, my head hurt and my legs ached. I hugged my knees, something sliding gently down my cheeks. I was crying. 

Long arms wrapped around me, burrowing their face into my hair. 

" David... let me go. I don't deserve this." I could feel him shake his head. He softly hummed. "You deserve better, Max. I'll make sure you will be happy for the rest of your life." Those words struck me. 'I'll make sure you will be happy...' And 'For the rest of my life'? He's... Adopting a little ass like me? He won't stand a chance... 

"Max... want to go and get something to eat after we leave the camp?" I look up. "At least it's better than getting beat by your father every day..." I stated. David stands up. "Alright Max. Let's go." He began to walk as I stood up. I didn't follow. I suddenly reach for David, grabbing his pant leg. What was I doing? "What is it Max?" He questioned. My arms went into the air towards David, looking away impatiently. Childish instincts covered up my matured conscious and I wanted to be held. My parents never did it, and everyone else's parents did with their children. "Up." David looked at me funny. "Up? Like 'Pick me up'?" He questioned and I snipped back at him. "What else would it mean, David?" My I felt my face go red. I was embarrassed to tell him to pick me up, but I did it anyway. No fucks given. 

David kinda shrugged and picked me up gently, his hands placed underneath my arms. I swung my arms around his neck, holding on. He smelt like the surrounding forest trees. I... liked this feeling. It made me feel safe. "David... I hate you." David nods a bit. "I know, Max. You say it every day." David carried me off to his car, and set me into the front seat, me buckling myself up. "I'll be right back, Max. I'm going to close the camp up for the winter, and pick up all of your stuff that came out of the car." I nod, my eyes still leaking. I wipe my eyes. What was happening? Did I just suddenly break? Why? I know my parents didn't care about me at all... Why did this hit me so bad? Whatever. It's at least good to know someone actually cares about me... and I have to thank David for that.