Chapter 5 - The Store.

Chapter five – the store.

I groaned as I slipped my shoes on, then walked out the door. David, chipper as always SKIPPED to the ol' Camp mobile. He got in the driver's seat, I got in the front with him in the passenger's side and I buckled myself in.

"Are ya ready to go, Max?"

"No." David tilted his head confused. "Well, why not? We're getting you stuff for your room AND new clothes! I'd be excited if I were you."

I look up at David and sigh. "Listen, David..." I pause and take a moment to turn to look out the window. "I just... don't know emotions very well, okay?" I could feel David's sorry gaze upon me. Suddenly, I felt his hand on my shoulder and I turn back to him, a sad smile present on his face.

"Listen, Max. I understand that THEY didn't teach you anything about... well, ANYTHING. Your parents were bad people, and I will make sure that they won't ever touch you, okay?" David had already been driving, the dirt flying as we drove. I decide to stay quiet.

"Max?" He glances over to me for a second, then looked back at the road. We were already on normal cement road. I say nothing. They USED to be better, they USED to love me, and then when I hit 8 they began to just, HATE me so much... I don't understand... I heard David gasp after we stopped at the red light. He saw me crying.

"Oh my gosh! Max, was it something I said?! Why are you crying?!" David had panic clear in his voice, and on his face.

"No, just my crummy life kicking back in. Y'know, they're called flashbacks if you didn't know." I hissed, wiping the tears from my face with my bare arm. I was wearing my yellow shirt, my blue jacket tied around my waist. Y'know, the usual." The light turned green and the car started moving again. David whimpered.

"Max, you don't have to think about that stuff! You're getting new things today! And hey, listen to this."

I look up at him. Concern was crystal clear on his face and hope that I'll trust his words.

"Don't just dwell on the past. You can't change it, wether you like it or not. I learned that the hard way when my friend died back at camp when Cameron was in charge..."

My eyes widened. "Someone ACTUALLY died?"

David sighed and nodded. "I prefer not to talk about that. Like I said, don't dwell on the past." He smiled at me then we made it to the store's parking lot and we parked.

"We're here!" David happily exclaimed, smiling widely.

"Mhm. Thank you, captain obvious." Opening the door, I stepped out onto the cement. Shutting the door behind me, I look at where David was coming out . He walked over to me and took my hand, but I quickly pulled it away and put it into my pocket. "No." His happy aspect turned into a sneaky smile and suddenly he picked me up. "DAVID!!!! WHAT'RE YOU-"

"I'm putting you on my shoulders so you don't have to hold my hand." I for sure was on his shoulders, above all of my surroundings. I stopped for a moment. Wait... This isn't that bad, but I can't let David know that.

"Are you ok with that, Max?"

"Yeah, whatever. I just don't want to walk." I respond rolling my eyes. Crossing my arms, I huffed looking at the big store as we walked closer. We had gone to Target because David says that the deals are better there and they have just the right things for us. I sighed as I held onto David's chin to keep stable. He took my hands and I quickly pulled away. "What's wrong? You seem a little more negative today. Something up?"

"No, I'm fine, I just don't want my hands to be held, that's all." I say as I cross my arms. David sighed, having a small smile on his face. "I understand." He lightly chuckled before we got into the store. I ducked, preventing the chance to hit my head on the door way. David walked in with a very bright smile on his face, and me with my usual expression. I loosened my frown, making my expression neutral to people. I could see people from the corner of my eye pointing at us and whispering to each other. "I'm not doing this because I want to... idiots." I mumble, hoping that David didn't catch that.

"What was that, Max?" Shit. He heard. "Nunya."

"What's... 'nunya'?"

"Nunya business." I could feel David's excitement lowering and I could tell his smile wasn't as wide. "Okay then, Max." Laying my head and arms onto David's head, I watched as he grabbed his basket and started to look at the bunches of bananas. He picked up a slightly green banana bunch and put it into one of those really thin, static-y plastic bags and tied it with a twisty-tie. We walked through the grocery part, and finally we met the parts that WEREN'T food based.

"Well, here we are! I'm gonna set you down." David put his hands under my arms and gently set me down in front of him. I looked around, seeing the different bed sets. I stroll down the isle and I see a blue comforter and I look at it. It had an ombre effect – Going from a pastel blue to a deep, dark blue. I put my hand on the plastic, leaning closer to it as I inspected it. I looked at the picture on the top. I smiled. Suddenly, I felt a gentle hand sit on my shoulder. Whipping my head around at the person who the hand belonged to was David. "Like that one?"

"It's cool, I guess..." I reply. I saw David smile a bit. "You want that one?" I heard him ask, and I responded with a shrug. "I don't know." I continue browsing and I don't see any other comforters that I like, to I move onto the pillow cases and the sheets. Seeing a light blue one I pick it up and feel the fabric. It was soft and nice, to I liked it. It also came with a mattress cover. "David?"

"Yes, Max?" I pointed to the bed spread and sheets. "I think I like these." David smiled, picking them up and setting them into a cart he had picked up. "Okay. Didn't you say you liked that other blue bed comforter?" I thought about it and nodded. "Yeah, sure." I looked at the pillow cases and I took up very dark blue ones. They weren't your classic case. They were that sleek, silky kind of material. "And this will be good." I set the case into the cart, and I see a box.

"What's that?"

"Oh, I just thought to give you a little something extra." I read the top of it and it says 'Memory Foam for Full size'. I smiled slightly and I looked at David. "Thanks." I go over by David and walk beside him.

"That's all you want?" He asked. "Yeah." I responded, nodding my head.

"Max? Is that you?" someone spoke behind me. I don't turn around, but I know David did. David had looked at the kid. I peered up at David, who was smiling brightly at the source of the voice. "Oh, why hello, Neil!" Wait. Neil?

"Who's that, David? Is that... Max?"

"Oh, Max? Yep!" I could tell Neil had many, MANY questions.

"Why's Max with you?" I tensed up, quickly turning around. I spoke over David.

"Oh, well, you see, Max-"

"I HAD TO BE WATCHED BY DAVID BECAUSE MY PARENTS WANTED ME TO BE WATCHED!" I quickly responded, making sure Neil couldn't hear David. I could see Neil on the urge of bursting out with laughter. "Pfff-"

"DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE!"

"Max, please – language! We're in public!" I growled at David's complaints, and I huffed, crossing my arms. "Suck a dick, David..." I muttered real low, looking away from David. Neil walked to me. "Max, what's going on?" I growled at Neil. "A man's discovery of FUCKING NUNYA, NEIL!"

David put his hands on his hips. "Max! Please watch your language!! Or I'll take away your Netflix!" Neil snickered. "How are you going to take away his Netflix? Is David your baby sitter, Max?" I HAD TO BLOW. I ended up kneeing Neil in the dick. "SHUT! UP!!!" I crossed by arms, turning away. David had rushed over to Neil who was whimpering like a little girl on the store's cold floor. He deserved that HARDCORE. That little ass is gonna get me exposed, then he's gonna tell Nikki, then over to everyone else!! It's embarrassing to have David as my dad AND the counselor of a summer camp!

"Max! That was very rude! Apologize!" David attempted to scold me. Eh. He sucks at yelling at me. "Nah."

"Max, that's it! I'm taking away your Netflix for a week!" I heard Neil gasp, which was followed by a long 'Oh'. "Max, is David your dad?" Shit shit shit shit! NO NO NO-

"Why, Neil you're a very observative kid! Yes I am his da-" I had to tackle Neil, covering his ears. "LALALALA YOU CAN'T HEAR THE CRAZY CAMP MAN LALALALA-"

Well. Shit just went down.

~03&