Chapter 6

~ Akira Kurusu
Thursday Morning ~

How long is it gonna take before I can see him? I just wanna know if he's fine. I keep on pacing back and forth in the corridor. Why didn't I stop them before it turned into an actual fight? Then none of this would have happened. I'm a selfish fool who's unable to protect my only real friend. How could I let them do that to him? He probably hates me, first I run off and then I won't even help him when three guys gang up on him. I'm a bad friend. He deserves someone who's actually capable of doing something in those situations. I should probably just leave before they're done so he won't have to see me anymore. I'm just gonna leave him alone, that's probably what he wants. My eyesight is starting to blur. No Akira, you can't cry now. Everyone will stare at you.

I grab my bag and right when I start to walk away the door opens.
"We're done with him. You can see him now if you want." I wipe away the tears and slowly turn around.
"Okay. Thank you." I stop for a second and think about it one last time. Should I really walk inside? He'll just be annoyed. But I really wanna see him.
"We'll leave you two alone."

I silently nod and walk inside the room and as soon as I see him sitting there, on the couch, my brain stops working, I drop my bag on the floor and run up to him. I drop down on my knees and give him a big hug. By this point I can feel the tears running down my cheeks but I don't care about that anymore, the only thing that's important now is that Ryuji's okay.
"Is everything fine? How are you feeling? What did the nurses do to you? Do you think you'll have to go to the hospital?"
"Akira, calm down. I'm fine. I'm gonna get a black eye but other than that I'm okay. I promise."
"No, you're not okay. How could I let them do that to you? I'm never going to forgive myself. I just stared like everyone else. I'm so sorry."
"Akira, you don't have to be sorry."
"I could have helped you but I just stood there." He pulls away from the hug.
"Well, nothing happened. I'm fine and everything's alright again."
"Yeah, I guess. I don't know what I would have done if something happened to you. I need you." Oh no.
"Did I just say that out loud?" Why? Why did I just say that?

Before I realize what's going on Ryuji, without saying anything, leans in towards me. As soon as our lips connect I feel how my face turns into a tomato. His lips were surprisingly soft.

It feels like forever before Ryuji pulls away.
"I-I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done that." He says sounding really flustered. After what just happened I can't stop staring at him. He looks like a tomato as well, he looks cute like that.

"There's nothing to be sorry about." I keep staring at his face and start to smile. He smiles back at me. We sit there for a few seconds, without saying a word, just staring at each other with stupid smiles on our faces. This is everything I've ever wanted and I didn't even realize that until now.

He breaks the silence after a while.
"We should probably get going."
"Yeah, you're right." I stand up and, as a reflex, I reach out for his arm. He quickly looks at my hand and starts smiling again.
"Akira, I promise. I'm fine." He laughs lightly.
"You don't have to take care of me. I'm fine."
"Really?"
"Really." He smiles at me. I sigh.
"I just don't want anything bad to happen again. I feel like I need to protect you." He laughs.
"You're acting like my mom right now." He says while he gets up from the couch.
"Well, is that really that bad? I can be the dad you never had." I smirk.
"You mean like my... daddy?" We both start laughing.
"Let's just scrap that idea." I smile.

I grab my bag and we walk out of the nurses office, still having those stupid smiles on our faces. As soon as I look up I notice that the corridor is basically empty.
"Oh, right. I almost forgot. All classes after lunch is canceled today. We get to go home now." I turn around and see a very shocked Ryuji.
"Oh, I totally forgot."
"Well, you wanna do something?" "
Yeah. I just have to go grab my stuff, then we can leave." We walk over to Ryuji's locker. He quickly grabs his stuff and closes it again.
"Now I'm ready to go." He smiles.

We start walking out of the school. Right before we get to the doors we hear someone behind us.
"Wait!" We turn around and see a blonde female.
"Isn't that the girl from our class?" I whisper to Ryuji before she gets too close. He nods slightly.
"I think so."

She walks up to us.
"You're the one who got into that fight earlier today, right?" She looks at Ryuji.
He nods. "Why were you wondering?"
"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry."
"Oh, you don't have to be sorry. It isn't your fault."
"I know."

We just stand there for a few seconds, staring at each other.
"Well, I'm Akira." I look over at Ryuji and lightly nudge his arm with my elbow.
"I'm Ryuji."
"Akira and Ryuji. I'll remember that." She laughs lightly. "Well, I have to go now. Bye guys!" She starts walking away.
"Wait! You never told us your name." I yell after her.
"Oh, I didn't?" she turns around and smiles lightly.
"I'm Ann. Ann Takamaki."