let your walls down

So you're scared, you don't think you're ready yet / we'll take it slow, I'll walk with you on the edge / paint the colors on top of the sunset / I can do this all for you
-avalanche, fletcher

**********

"You can't possibly not have a favorite color!" Arizona protested with a whine. "I have like five!" After the dance, Callie had taken Arizona to a 24 hour diner about 10 minutes away from school. It wasn't a super big deal, but they were able to talk without anyone around them, which felt really nice.

"Does black count?" Callie wondered, smirking at the blonde.

"No way! It has to be a happy color," she explained with a laugh. "My top 3 are yellow, lavender, and aqua blue."

"Mine is literally just black," Callie laughed. She heard their number called for the food and stood up to get it. She returned a minute later, handing Arizona her bag of food and strawberry milkshake. "Or dark blue," she shrugged.

"Dark blue is nice, I'll give you that," Arizona laughed. "What about food? Please tell me your taste in food isn't as bland as your favorite colors."

The raven-haired girl rolled her eyes at that. "I'm Hispanic, my family makes the greatest food ever."

"Really?" Arizona asked excitedly. "You'll have to let me try it sometime!"

"Okay," Callie laughed.

"Where's your family from?" Arizona asked.

"The pacific coast of Mexico," Callie replied. "I'm from there too, we moved here when I was a baby."

"That's so cool!" Arizona said. "Have you been back there?"

"Not since I was 8," Callie shrugged. "What's been your favorite place to live?" She asked.

"Fort Hamilton in New York," Arizona answered without much thought. "I was in going into 8th grade and Tim was going into 10th and our parents let us explore the city all summer." It was the first summer she had felt somewhat like herself again and remembered how it felt to run around the city with her older brother. This year was the first time since then that she had felt that way.

"That's so cool," Callie smiled. "What's been the worst?"

"Camp Cody in New Mexico," Arizona sighed. "I didn't have any friends there and that was when I had the...leg thing."

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere," Callie said, taking Arizona's hand in hers. "If you want to talk about it, then that's great, but if you don't, then that's okay too."

"I want to tell you some things," Arizona sighed. "Just not all of them...yet."

"I understand," Callie said seriously.

"I trust you with everything in me, Calliope," Arizona said, her eyes wide and trying not to well up with tears, "I'm just not sure I'm ready to think about every detail of those days."

"Take your time," Callie replied.

"Thank you," Arizona whispered, wiping the tears before they fell.

Callie nodded, taking a bite of her hot dog. "Trust me, everyone has things about themselves they don't like to talk about."

"Except you, you're perfect," Arizona cracked a small smile at the taller girl.

Callie scoffed at that. "That's not true. I'm not a pretty blonde with bright blue eyes and a magical smile. I don't share a name with the hottest state in this country, and I'm not wearing a really hot mini dress."