my genuine smile

oh, I'm afraid of the things in my brain / but we can stay here / and laugh away the fear

-intertwined, dodie

**********

"Stop honking, I'm here," Amelia said, rolling her eyes as she got into the passenger seat. "I scored a job interview!"

"You took so long because you were checking your email?" Meredith asked, rolling her eyes. "Can't you do that in the car?"

"I saw the notification and got excited, sorry," Amelia laughed. "It's at the community center, I applied for the daycare."

"When's the interview?" Meredith asked.

"Tomorrow at 4," Amelia replied.

"I can drive you there but you'll have to find a way home because I have work until 9," Meredith said.

"Okay," Amelia agreed.

"And just to be clear, I was up at 5, I went on a run, I made breakfast for us, and you were still asleep at 6," Meredith said, rolling her eyes. "Clearly I'm the more productive one here."

"Damn, someone needs their coffee," Amelia said, rolling her eyes at the older girl.

"I was gonna stop somewhere and get some but we're gonna have to get the shitty stuff at school since you took for-fucking-ever," Meredith said.

"I'm so nervous," Amelia said quietly, trying to relax into the seat.

"It'll be fine, you'll like it," Meredith said. "Did Montgomery email you your schedule?"

"Yeah, you have lunch 5b right?"

Meredith nodded. "You'll make friends too, the sophomore class isn't bad.

"Okay," Amelia sighed. "I just hope today goes well."

"It will," Meredith said reassuringly.

**********

"Hey, you're new!" A perky redhead said excitedly as she walked up to the locker next to Amelia. "I'm April Kepner."

"I'm Amelia Shepherd," the brunette replied, closing her locker.

"Oh you're the transfer from West Seattle, you're Derek's sister," April said.

"Yep," Amelia laughed. "Hey do you know where room 202 is?"

"That's American literature, I'm heading there too!" April said. "I'll walk with you."

"Thanks," Amelia said gratefully as the two of them headed to class. "My sister was going to show me around but she had to stay late in bio to finish a lab."

"You've got a sister too?"

"She's my brother's girlfriend, I just consider her one of my sisters," the brunette explained with a laugh. "I've got 3 actual sisters though."

"I've got 3 sisters too!" The redhead said excitedly.

"So you know a lot of people here I take it?" Amelia asked.

"Pretty much everyone," April laughed.

"Meredith wants me to make friends outside of her group, so who should I hang around?"

"Anyone really," April shrugged. "I mean there's people who you should obviously stay away from, but you can tell which ones are always out drinking and doing drugs every night."

Amelia nodded quietly, not sure what to say back.

"My mom always tells me to stay away from kids who do that kind of stuff because it's really easy to fall into it."