Chapter IV : Pinkie Promise

11:00 pm

“Alright now, the only way I didn’t expect waking up from drunkness is having flour thrown in my face.” A deep voice whom the owner the two recognized as Dimitri stumbled into the kitchen. “What is even happening here?” 

Concentrating a little and adjusting his eyes to the light of the room he distinguished two figures – his brother and, of course, Skylar. The two were in what seemed like the middle of an ‘argument’: Damian had both his palms cupped and filled with the white flour dust while the girl looked both as cautions and fierce, having her palms held above her figure in anticipation.

“Don’t.you.even.dare.”

...

“Whoops” Remarked a surprised Damian after noticing his older brother’s presence, accidentally slipping the dust all over the girl.

As serious as our white head tried to be, she just couldn’t contain the smile creeping onto her features. As long as she could remember it has always been like this – their bad jokes, sleepovers, movie nights and little quarrels which always ended up with a bunch of idiots laughing their asses off on the floor. It was just perfect, and she just couldn’t believe her eyes it was all back to her wholesome and unchanged.

“I swear to god that was just an accide-” He tried reasoning but not really getting to finish his sentence as the whole packet of granulated wheat covered him like snow.
“Now we’re even”
“Now we’re out of flour” mentioned a sleepy Kyle, just entering the cooking space.
“Welp … guess we’re not making pancakes anymore” Damian added scratching the back of his neck playfully.
“No shit Sherlock” Anne yawned. “You two are such monsters! How could you kill my children?” She continued, dramatically falling on her knees and picking up some of the on the spilled pack’s contents.

Now the whole gang was here

“Let’s just buy a huge pizza” Kyle suggested.
“FINALLY A GOOD IDEA” Continued Anne, already forgetting her ‘children’ and dusting her jeans while getting up.
“Pizza it is” Skylar agreed picking up her phone.

2:45 pm

“Alright, so, since this is the first time you decide to visit our country, why don’t we just go camping or something?” Kyle suggested.
“Alright, no.” Skylar butted in – “Camping is not even half as exciting as any other things we could do here! Let’s go to the beach!”
“Ok, ok, hold on” Said Dimitri, his hands mimicking a circular motion in front of his presence : “Since we were just teens you kept mentioning us this awesome place on the beach – concerts all around, a killing atmosphere and *cough* pretty girls  *cough*”

Then Anne felt like expressing herself again “VAMA VECHE!”

Jumping all around, she finished her idea - “Actually I think this would include both your likings in it too, LET’S GO FOR IT!”

What her friends didn’t observe, except her female friend, of course, was the empty look on the white head’s profile when her and Kyle agreed on the beach trip. After all of the great moments they spent together she was truly happy and grateful but it still felt like something was missing. Or was it someone?

“We should leave early tomorrow, so we don’t have to worry about the traffic” And just like this her train of thoughts was interrupted by Kyle.
“Yeah. Let’s go to sleep” She nodded. “Guys, you can take the living room, it’s spacious enough for three people, Anne and me can just share my room.”
“Alright then” Damian yawned while stretching himself - “Sleep tight” He offered with a tired smile.

And just like that, he disappeared into the darkness hugged room

“We should go too, it’s a long trip” Kyle added having Dimitri nodding in understanding.

And so, the two girls remained standing alone on the cold marble floor.

“You know … I know you know I know something’s off so you should as well start explaining before my sleepness doesn’t kick in” … “not like that’s gonna stop me getting what I want”
Sky just gave her a small laugh while starring at her feet - “I know” she continued moving her glance at the bruette.
“Come, I’ll explain this to you as good as I can after a night of being anything but sober” She said taking Anne’s wrist and dragging her upstairs.

4:00 pm

“...then Damian and me descended the stairs, and that’s when I saw all of you gathered downstairs” She finally finished after Anne’s series of questions that interrupted her resume from five to five seconds.
“So what was in the box he gave you?” She was left dumbfounded.
“Oh my god I totally forgot about that!” Skylar exclaimed. She sprinted off the bed and grasped the velvet box from its hiding place, then put it carefully beside Anne.
“I wonder what he got you” - she found herself speaking.

Doing as her friend halfway suggested, she proceeded opening the last of her presents with caution: Untying the black ribbon that held the box’s rather expensive tissue, she finally took in her hands one of Sebastian’s white gold necklaces. It resembled a triangular guitar pick, with what she guessed as being his initials on the front side. Turning it around Sky just stared at the other side of the delicate object: “S.L” It was clear as the day the second manufacture was almost brand new, yet it still make the snow-head feel warm and fuzzy inside.

She remembered this - or at least what made him come up with the idea of the present.

It all happened on a chilly autumn dawn, on the Lane residence’s tall roof. The autumnal sky was an image you could die for, surely and both Sebastian and Skylar knew it –lied on their backs, eyes following each and every short change of the sky’s colors, the two young adults did nothing but silently appreciate each-other’s company. She just couldn’t help but eyeball the shiny yet modest jewelry of the boy’s. What caught her attention the most was the simple but elegant necklace Bastian was never seen without.

“It was a present from my parents”

… silence

“I didn’t mean to..”-
-“No… I wanted you to know that.”
Then she understood, she was not a stranger to him anymore

“Thank you”
And they just smiled at each-other.

“Wow … Damian is really losing ground now” Anne remarked.
“Wait, what?” Skylar just asked dumbfounded.
“Oh come on, you saw it and I saw it too” She sighted throwing herself on her best friend’s cuddly bed. “He changed a lot, and not only in appearance”
“We are childhood best friends, don’t even start this” She immediately rejected her explanation.
“Sky, now, we both know you’re one of the most down-to-earth people I know, but you’re just being SO BLIND right now it is actually offending me
“I… don’t even know anymore...”  She finally accepted her confusion. “But I know you still didn’t answer my question” she said, a smirk making her way on her figure – “Hows Aidan doing again?”
“NU! Not this time! Don't change the topic! Not until you don’t clear out your love triangle!” She demanded jumping from her spot and pointing her index finger at the silverette.
“Alright now, I promise you on my Steam Library that I’ll think about this whole situation, but eventually when i'll be able to keep my eyes open"

And they sealed the pact with the most important and meaningful act acknowledged.

“Pinkie promise?”

“Pinkie promise.”