Chapter 1: The Discovery

Useless recycling project, I thought. Two hours collecting and sorting garbage? Only twenty minutes had passed, yet it felt like I was stuck in the dark, smelly alleyway for an eternity. Ave 17 was sandwiched between two old, broken down office buildings serving no purpose. No sunlight came through here leaving a mysterious,spooky, eerie light all day long. There was always a foul smell coming from all the garbage which was now getting picked up by me. I stared down the road at the many endless piles of garbage. I longed for adventure, something fun, exciting, and out of the ordinary. I wanted to get out of there. I wanted to be somewhere other than this dump or my everyday home. Even going home and staying there was better than this dump. I groaned. I moaned. I kicked a soda bottle out of frustration. It bounced off the wall of one office building, the metal clang echoing. With a sigh, I reached down to pick up a Doritos bag and stuff it into my huge garbage sack.

Suddenly, I heard a small, faint noise coming from behind me. It sounded like the hum of a computer in a quiet room. I swiveled around to see the Coke bottle I had kicked trembling on the sidewalk. It was bouncing up and down as if there was an earthquake. However, everything else was silent. A ton of thoughts ran through my head: What if it's a trap? Should I pick it up? Should I tell someone? The logical answer seemed to leave it there and tell an adult. But I wasn't about to do that. My heart was pounding. Could this be my chance for adventure, something different? As soon as I came close to it, the trembling stopped and it rolled toward me. With a trembling hand, I picked up the bottle I looked at it- it was an ordinary Coke can, rusty and dented from where I'd kicked it. I was about to put it back down, thinking it was nothing special when something slipped out from the top. It looked like a small, black tube the size of a crayon. I turned it around in my hand and noticed that it had words on it in pale, silver letters: Time Capsule Tx7.