Chapter 3: The Mayflower

As I walked, I saw many other families rushing their kids just like the woman had done. I realized that everyone was getting ready for the voyage on the Mayflower.

Bong, bong, bong, bong! Somewhere in the distance I heard the chimes of a clock. I began to rush towards it when I felt myself trip and stumble into a man heaving a sack on his back.

"Watch where you're going!"he barked. I quickly apologized and looked down to see what I had tripped on. I gasped as I looked down at my feet. Instead of my normal jeans and a sweatshirt I was wearing a long, navy blue dress with a faded green apron. I had wooden shoes on my feet and my messy hair was pulled back in a ponytail. I looked around to see that almost every girl on the street was dressed the same way. The wooden shoes felt big and heavy on my feet and I clumsily began to walk again. As I walked further, I felt the breeze getting stronger. Suddenly something, big and massive came into sight. What I saw next, took my breath away. I instantly knew that it was the Mayflower. It was a huge wooden ship with three towering masts. The sails were wide, and pure white. I could see many workers loading luggage and climbing up the masts. The air felt cheery and excited, as the streets were busy and packed with people. I made my way towards the ship and realized I hadn't taken in its full size yet. With the colorful flags and the massive deck, I now understood why so many people had wanted to set sail on the Mayflower. I did too. The salty smell of the sea tingled my nose and the crashing waves woke up my sense of adventure once more. With one last look behind me, I made a decision. I would sneak on. The amount of passengers was so immense, that I would have no trouble blending in. I strolled down the cobbled road and towards the vessel. As I reached the bridge to get onto the ship, my plans were instantly spoiled.

"Stop right there miss, I have to check the passenger list," I heard a loud but soft voice say. I saw a tall, bulky guard standing at the entrance of the ship. My heart fell to my shoes. I was done for. Surely the tickets for such an important trip were purchased long ago.

"Your name?" the guard said, not taking his eyes of the yellow scroll with the passenger list. His eyes were dark grey, like the color of the sea. They had a playful feel in them.He wore a red and gold uniform that glistened in the bright sunlight reflecting off the water.

"Chelsey. Chelsey Martin," I replied gloomily staring at my feet. The guard grunted a few times and began shuffling with the papers. He muttered something under his breath. Suddenly he looked up and loudly exclaimed,

"Aha! Miss Martin cargo hold is down on your right, and here are your keys," . I stared at him speechlessly. What was the chance that there was another Chelsey Martin sailing on the Mayflower. I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out.

"Quite an impressive ship, isn't she?" he said dreamily. "But I do need your ticket, so would you hand that over?". My mouth closed and I snapped back to reality. Of course- there were tickets! Now I was definitely doomed, but I couldn't let the guard see.

"The ticket!" I exclaimed, as if I knew exactly what he was talking about. "Yes, I recall leaving it right here," I sputtered sticking my hand in my dress pocket. I ran my fingers through the rough material but found nothing. I gulped and reached in the other pocket. It was empty.

"Surely it is in my apron," I told the guard hastily. I reached into the ruffles of my green apron, hoping I would find something, anything! I was about to make up a lie to the guard and turn back when I felt a sharp paper corner. I slowly pulled it out and I could have leaped for joy. I slip of paper, the size of a credit card in my time said: September 16, 1620. The Mayflower. Proudly, I handed the ticket to the guard who tipped his hat in goodbye and turned to the next passenger. I let out a long sigh of relief. What a coincidence that the time machine just happened to know that I wanted to sail on the Mayflower and gave me a ticket? I thought.