Chapter 8: Explanations and Puzzlements

We were heading down a wide path through the same tall trees I had seen when I had gotten there. We continued walking down the path for about fifteen minutes silently. I had to jog to keep up with Liz's long, massive strides. Finally, I broke the tension that had been nagging me for the whole time.

"So Liz," I began, not wanting to sound too desperate. "You said that by getting into Timecrash you would have had to change the course of events. Did you do that?" With my last question, I felt Liz stiffen up next to me. Her face turned grey, with a more serious expression than I'd ever seen from her.

"Yes," she replied coldly. "A careless mistake of bringing in future technology into the past. A careless mistake that costs me my existence,". Liz said this in such a way, that I instantly got the message that this was a sore topic.I brought it onto myself. I needed to know.

"So how did I change the past?" I asked. Liz sighed, irritably and said

"That's easy to figure out, if you give me enough information. Tell me everything you did in the past,". I began to explain how I had magically gotten onto the Mayflower using the passenger list and ticket. I made sure to mention Mason and the crew of boys, but before I got into depth about my day on the Mayflower, Liz stopped me.

"Enough," she said. "Do you happen to know if any of your ancestors have the same name as you" she asked continuing to walk. I racked my brain to remember the Family Tree project I was assigned to do in third grade.

"Yes, actually," I exclaimed. "A chain of my great grandmothers were named Chelsey Martin, but it soon stopped. When I was born, my mom decided to bring back the tradition," Liz swatted her hand and muttered,

"Easy as pie. The name on the passenger list wasn't yours, it was your ancestor grandmother's. That day, Mason would have met her, and brought out the family in which you would have been born. You came in and never gave him that chance," I stayed silent and tried to comprehend that. I couldn't even get my head around it so I decided to let it go and I changed the subject.

"I never thought I would say this to someone, but what time are you from?". Even as I said those words, I wondered how I had gotten myself into this. What time are you from? Liz let out a mild chuckle and replied,

"Year 3064. How about you?" I dropped my mouth open. Liz was an alien from the future! Her face took on a confused expression. "Is there something unusual about that?". I shook my head and quickly explained.

"To you, I'm from the past. I live in the year 2016," Liz nodded.Things that I considered high tech, to her were rubbish at an antique shop. I couldn't even imagine what Earth would look like a thousand years from now. Abruptly, added,

"You used to live in 2016. Not anymore. I told you, there is no way out of Timecrash,". Liz slumped her shoulders and continued to stroll even quicker than before. She had a grim look on her face, but I felt bubbling frustration rising up inside me. I ran after her wailing angrily,

"You can't just give up! There's always a way out!" Liz didn't even turn around. By now, I could feel my palms sweating as Liz began to walk even faster. At that moment, I wanted to turn around and leave her on her own, hopelessly. But inside I knew that she really was my only hope and that I had to listen to her. I sprinted down the path which was getting muddier as we moved forward. How could I make it through to Liz that you can't just stop what you're doing because you don't believe you can? I caught up to her and as I caught my breath, I firmly said to her to her,

"We need to get out of here! There is no way we could stay here forever- think about homes, food and water," At this, Liz merely smirked and turned to face me. I hated that smile of hers: I knew she was hiding something from me.

"Do you really think that I could survive here for six months without having that covered?" As she said that, we had walked up to a huge wall of vines and leaves.It was all shades of green ranging from neon, lime green, to a dark black. It was tremendous, and as I craned my head up, I couldn't see the top of it. It stretched widely, taller than the snow peaked trees. In my time, I would say it was a few times bigger than what I imagined to be the Great Wall Of China. Liz must have been enjoying my shock, for she still wore her proud smirk on her face.