s e v e n t e e n

Maisie had taken to spending her time in the Sanctuary's library, partially for the undisturbed quiet, and partially to avoid the Saviors stares. She was an intuitive woman, but a fruit bat could just as easily figure out what the Saviors thought about when she was around.

She always in hid the farthest corner of the library where the brightest, but still disappointingly dim, light was. She'd asked them many times to find light bulbs on their supply runs, but it turned out they were a hard item to acquire. Harder than Negan's satin sheets? Maisie thought bitterly, flipping the page of her book. Ultimately, she decided to sit by the nearest window for some natural light.

Although she loved to be alone, Negan had put guards on her twenty-four-fucking-seven. Why, exactly, she had no idea. When she heard heavy footsteps entering the library, she didn't need to turn around to know it was Negan. As he put something down on the table beside her, her nose told her it was flowers before her eyes confirmed it when she glanced over.

Negan grabbed the legs of her chair and spun her around to face him; Maisie squealed and grabbed the arms of her chair when she felt unbalanced. She regained her composure and stared coldly into Negan's brown eyes as he tipped her chair back and leaned over her. He was waiting for her to say something.

"Dead people receive more flowers than the living because regret is stronger than gratitude," Maisie told him, casting a glance at the flowers on the table, her eyebrow cocked.

"Well, look at you, hitting me with the motherfucking facts! They say beauty is dangerous, but intelligence is lethal, and darling, you've got it all!"

"Uh-huh," Maisie replied coolly, pursing her full lips.

"I know you've been unhappy this past month, but I know what will make you happy."

"Oh, yeah? What's that?"

"You're going to Alexandria."

"Really?" Maisie asked, her heart swelling with hope.

"Yup! Gotta go collect our shit."

And just like that, the balloon of hope in her chest struck the shiny silver thumbtack of reality and she resumed her cold expression. "When do we leave?"

"Fifteen minutes," Negan told her, turning to leave.

"Wait."

"Yes?"

"I want a gun."

"What? No."

"You told me yourself I'm not a goddamn prisoner here and I'm the only woman in this fucking place who doesn't have a firearm."

"Alright, I'll consider it. Now, meet down at the trucks in fifteen fucking minutes or you will be punished."

"What're you gonna do, spank me?" Maisie asked, her voice casual as she got up and walked away.

"Goddamn, you're such a fucking tease!" Negan barked, his hazel eyes focused on the sway of her hips.

"I know."

Twenty minutes later, Maisie was sitting in the cab of the big blue truck with Negan at the wheel. They were alone in the truck, as Negan had made his chosen Saviors occupy two other empty trucks.

Secretly, Maisie was scared.

What if Rick hadn't been able to scavenge enough? What if someone put up a fight?

"Negan?"

"Yes, doll?"

"You're not gonna kill anyone from Alexandria, right?"