Mist's POV

I listened to everyone's conversations. Soon I found out that I could become a medicine cat apprentice or a warrior apprentice. But through that time, I had also been watching Stormcloud from the shadows. He was so graceful, so perfect.
But then, something strange happened. Stormcloud was following Petal, with either his paws or with his eyes. He was mooning over Petal! He was supposed to be mooning over me, not her.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath Highrock for a clan meeting!" Dovestar yelled.

 I saw Dustfeather nudge a confused Petal to her feet.

Serves her right! I thought gleefully. Even I knew what to do and I did not have assistance!

After everyone gathered under the big rock, Dovestar began.

"Starclan has sent a message. The kittypets will stay!" Dovestar's voice rang clearly around camp.
"Although I don't know what we will do about Rock and Mist's collars," she muttered. Unfortunately, everyone heard and my ears became hot with embarrassment as the cats' stares descended on me. "If they are to stay, they will need clan names. Rock, Mist, and Petal, come here."

I gulped quickly, then walked up in front of her.

"Rock, you are ready to become an apprentice. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, your name will be Rockpaw," Dovestar searched the crowd of cats."Thrushwing,you are ready for an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Bouncefall. I trust you will pass everything you know to this apprentice."

"Mist, you are ready to become an apprentice-"

"Wait," I interrupted. There were many gasps from the cats but I continued," A warrior apprentice, or a medicine cat apprentice? With all due respects, I am going to be a medicine cat apprentice."

"Err...Very well then,"Dovestar mewed, clearly shocked. I stole a glance at Stormcloud. He was staring at me with shock and admiration. Finally! He's finally noticing me and not Petal!

Mintleaf, very startled at my words stuttered through what she was supposed to say. "Uh, cats of Thunderclan, you all um, know very well that I will uh, not be around forever so um, this cat will serve you when I am gone."

"Mist, until you receive your medicine cat name, your name will be Mistpaw," finished Dovestar.

"Petal, you are ready to become an apprentice. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, your name will be Petalpaw. Thunderclaw, my loyal deputy, you will be Petalpaw's mentor."

"Rockpaw! Mistpaw! Petalpaw!" my new clanmates cheered. I lifted my head proudly. I ignored the small group of cats sitting in silence. This was my moment, and I wasn't going to let a group of stupid cats spoil it. The cheering soon died down.

"Mistpaw, can I talk to you for a moment?" asked Mintleaf.

"Sure," I mewed, confused at her seriousness. She had always seemed happy.

"Why do you want to be a medicine cat instead of a warrior?" She blurted out once we were out of earshot.

"I don't believe in violence and hurting other cats. Instead, I want to heal. After seeing my mother killed by a monster... I just wish I could heal," I lied. Why would I care about these cats? They weren't family! But it would be a great way to hurt Petal. I could fake signs of dreams to get her kicked out. Oh, there were so many ways to do it! Little did I know I would have to sacrifice one thing: Someone that I wanted most.

Mintleaf nodded her head."In that case, I accept you as a full medicine cat apprentice."

I gave a small smile. How stupid!