Chapter 16: Announcements and Engagements

One week after Dr. Facilier's visit into Ben's mind, Mal found herself staring at her reflection in the mirror as Evie applied the finishing touches to her dress. Today was the day that Mal and Ben were going to announce their engagement. Belle had set up a grand ball for them, but Mal's mind wasn't focused on that right now. Instead, her thoughts had drifted to what had happened when she and Ben had told Belle and Beast about her father's visit to their son's head. It still bothered her that they continued to tell her to not worry about him. They had reassured her that they would take care of it, reminding her that it was not her responsibility to deal with Dr. Facilier. While they were extremely concerned about the fact that Dr. Facilier had violated their son's own thoughts, Belle and Beast didn't want Ben nor Mal to feel the same concern, as they deserved to be able to focus on themselves for a change. Beast had arranged for extra security tonight and had Fairy God Mother set up a barrier around the castle that kept out dark magic. Still, the extra precautions didn't ease Mal's worries, and truthfully, it didn't help Ben's parents feel any better either.

Belle was angry that someone had violated her son's privacy, but what really bothered her was Dr. Facilier's threats to kill Ben. There was no way she was going to let him lay a hand on her little boy. She would rather die than see her son get hurt. However, Belle had decided to keep her worries to herself. Today was about Ben and Mal showing the world that they are one. She wasn't going to overshadow that message with her own issues. Despite this, she was secretly investigating several leads as to Dr. Facilier whereabouts. Belle was eager to find him. Unfortunately, each lead dried up rather quickly. Her investigation was getting nowhere. She knew she needed to ask the Auradon Police force for help, but she wasn't sure they could handle someone as powerful as Dr. Facilier. Therefore, she had decided to talk to Beast about what she had been up to after the ball. Belle hated that she had kept Beast in the dark about this, but she knew he would understand why she did. She was a curious and independent soul who always tried to solve things by herself.

Beast wouldn't be mad at Belle for launching her own investigation, but he certainly wouldn't like the fact that she had been looking into this on her own. Not only would he be concerned for her safety, but he was also eager to find Dr. Facilier. Anyone who threatened his family was in for some serious trouble. No one would ever hurt the people he loved. Beast was certainly not afraid to throw his royal weight around to make sure people never crossed him, but he never abused his power. There were rules people had to follow in Auradon, and that included not hurting anyone at all. However, he wasn't exactly against torturing people who probably deserved it, such as Maleficent. Beast had been in the process of putting her on trial for several years, but he had been putting off. He wasn't sure if Mal actually wanted her mother punished or not, and he knew that if he handled Mal's mother wrong, she might never forgive him. Beast knew he would have to talk to her eventually, but right now wasn't the time. Then again, it never really was. He knew was going to have to say something soon, but for now, today was about celebrating the union of his son and soon to be daughter-in-law. He was looking forward to that relationship, and so was Mal.

All Mal wanted at this point was to be happy, and Ben gave her that. While she was stressed about her father's recent appearance, she wasn't going let her unease ruin her night. She was going to enjoy the grand ball, which was happening in a few short minutes. Not wanting to let her thoughts cloud her mind anymore, she decided to focus on the beautiful dress that she was wearing. It was a strapless purple ball gown with a sequined green belt. From the hips down, the dress had several layers upon itself, but it was still very elegant. There were some faux jewels running from the very top of the dress to the waistline. It really was a beautiful dress, and it was all hand made by Evie.

"I don't know what I'd do without you Evie," Mal breathed,"thank you for this gorgeous dress. I hope it wasn't too much trouble to make on such short notice."