~4~

Nate walked out of his house on the chilly winter morning. His gray coat pulled tight around him, trying to conserve body heat.

He was going to meet Mat at Bean's Coffee. Mat's favorite meeting spot.

The two had learned a lot about each other in the past few months. They had been dating for three months now, and Nicole was proud of them. She still hadn't found her soulmate, but whenever Nate brought it up she'd say: "There's still time."

Nate caught Mat's eye and sat down across from his boyfriend. He kissed his cheek. "Hey," he said. "How are you?"

Mat smiled. "You saw me yesterday," he remarked.

Nate smiled back to him. "I know," the pale man was now putting his coat on the back of his chair. "But I missed you."

Mat smiled wider. "I missed you too!"

Nate swirled his straw around his drink. "So, how's Steph?"

Mat's smile faded. "She's fine. Still grieving."

Nate sighed. "I really wish she didn't have to go through this."

"It's not her fault. The person was drunk. She couldn't have stopped it. I mean," Nate continued. "It's not like he's dead."

"Yeah," Mat tapped his fingers on the table top. "But he's in critical condition."

Nate stared at his drink, it not looking very appetizing anymore. Stephanie was Mat's best friend. She had been for most of his life.

Steph's soulmate had been hit by a drunk driver one night, and Steph was in a panic. Both Nate and Mat had been doing everything they could for her.

With a deep breath, Nate met his boyfriend's brown eyes. "I wish I could help her in some other way."

Mat shook his head. "You're doing all you can. She told me she didn't expect this, and that she doesn't deserve it. But I say she couldn't have a better friend right now." Mat's eyes glowed with warmth, some of the only warmth on the cold winter morning.

Nate gave him a crooked smile. "Thanks, Patrick."

Mat smiled back. "You're welcome, Sharp."