~8~

The next morning, Nate expected Mat to come bouncing into his room, saying that he made pancakes. Nate would laugh, and crawl out of bed.

Nate would walk downstairs to the sound of clinking plates. But there wasn't any. It was silent.

Nate would grab his pancakes, and sit on the couch. Mat would settle down next to him, talking about ideas he had the night before.

But it was silent.

Mat was gone.

Nate sat in silence. He didn't want to disturb his own thoughts.

Someone else disturbed them by sending him a text. Nate stared at his phone as it buzzed. He squeezed his eyes closed, silently hoping it was Mat.

He grabbed his phone.

It was Nicole.

Nate?

Are you okay?
Mat said you were sad..

I'm coming over Nate!

Nate let out a sigh. He crawled out of bed, not bothering with his hair.

His gray room was a mess, the silver sheets of his bed were in knots from him tossing and turning in his sleep. His desk was covered in crumpled up or wrinkled paper, song ideas that Nate didn't think would work.

Clothes, mostly black, were shoved in his closet carelessly, and strewn around the floor.

Mat always said Nate had to be more organized. Nate always said the same thing back: "only if you help me."

A knock sounded on Nate's apartment door.

Nate stumbled blindly to the door. His gaze was hazy, and his head hurt.

He opened the door and Nicole stood there. She was wearing a white shirt with frilly sleeves, and jeans. Her black hair was tied up in a ponytail, something she wore often.

Her brown eyes displayed worry. "Nate, are you okay?" she asked, walking in.

Nate slumped onto the couch. "Usually Mat and I are out and about, but instead I'm in here not caring, what do you think?"

Nicole took her twin in her arms. "I'm so sorry," she whispered.

"It's not like he's dead," Nate commented.

Nicole met Nate's eyes. "No, but your heart is torn in two, I can tell."

Nate heaved a sigh. "I need him. I've gotten so used to him being here that I can't deal with him not being here. He was my light. I'm just broken without him."

Nate buried his face in Nicole's neck.

"Nate?" Nicole asked.

"Yes?" Nate answered.

"I-I brought someone, who you might want to talk to."

Nate looked at the door, and standing there, was Matthew Patrick.