Chapter 13: Don't Be Afraid...

Another month has passed and it was the year-end socializing of their church. Sophia and Daniel attended, along with their parents. The two goes around and socialize as a pair, always holding hands and smiling. Their friends were plentiful; therefore both of them were obviously having a good time as the celebration goes on. Jake was there, and both of them expected it, but decided to come and just ignore the guy, whom without their knowledge is bearing a deep grudge upon them.

“I’ll just go by the sound system...” Daniel said smiling to Sophia and left after he kissed her forehead. Sophia just followed him with his eyes and turned to take food after he left.

“Sophia, come with me.” A shaking male voice suddenly called Sophia along with grabbing her arm and dragging her. It was Jake, and as soon as Sophia realizes that, he fidgets her arm to let go. “What are you doing?!” Sophia asked angrily and holding her arm, obviously hurt. “I’m sorry, but I’m here to take you now. I’m now willing to take my responsibility, remember?” Jake stated, smiling but obviously frantic. Sophia replied with confusion and a hint of disgust in her subsequent words. “No, you don’t need to. I can’t take someone like you to father my child; Daniel is here to stand your place, and I do not need anyone else, especially not you!” But Jake was quite persistent.  “Sophia, I was just confused at that moment, I know you were too, that’s why you seek someone who will stand as the father of that child. But now, I’m ready. Let’s go, I’ll take you home, before Daniel gets back.” Jake asked and grabbed Sophia’s arm again. “No, let me go! I’m not coming with you, I don’t need you!” Sophia asked and pushed his hand away. Jake was quite shocked at Sophia’s reaction and her ensuing angry stare. “What are you talking about? Why are you staying with him? Don’t you love me anymore? Remember when we were close, we were like soul-mates right? That’s why you even allowed us to make a baby, right? Why are you so angry, don’t you like me anymore?” Jake states, madly, even slightly harassing the lady. “Get away from me! You disgust me! First of all, I did not allow you to do that to me, you forced me while I was drunk! Second and most of all, I never loved you, every single thing that was between us is just a mistake, and I just used you to make Daniel come back to me…” Sophia stated out of frustration, halting and feeling fear and guilt upon realizing what she just said.

Jake just remained silent for a while, then he looked angrily at Sophia. “You never loved me? You used me?! How dare you, I loved you, I am even willing to be the father of that child and your telling me you just used me?!” Jake shouted, pushing Sophia around, with his face painted with rage. “You used me for what? For Daniel?! Why, is he a better provider, or is he better in bed than me?!” He yells quite boisterously as he pushes Sophia, who was helpless in fear and carrying the child in her belly. Suddenly, someone held Jake’s shoulder and pushed him away. It was Daniel, staring hazily at him. Sophia felt a hint of relief to see Daniel in front of her, protecting her and her child. “You son of a bitch!” Jake shouted and punched the man. He landed his fist on Daniel’s face which pushed him a step backward. Jake smirked, but then something hits his face, it was a bottle which shatters upon contact of his face. It was from Daniel’s hand, which was prepared for defense in the first place. Jake was taken aback as blood flows from his head. Daniel stands in front of Sophia to protect her, stern and grim, holding the broken bottle which was shaped by the shattering to be used to stab. Jake was infuriated that he charged to him, Daniel posed to stab Jake, with his eyes blank. But then the guests have knocked Jake down, while Sophia’s father managed to stop Daniel. Sophia was already about to cry in fear, then Daniel held her hand.

“Daniel! Don’t you dare own Sophia or that child! I am the father of that child, not you! Leave her to me! Get away from her!” Jake shouts loudly as the security pulls him away, revealing the truth for everyone to hear. Everyone looks at the couple, and Sophia finally broke down and cried lightly on Daniel’s chest. Daniel immediately hugs the lady, biting his lips, thinking of what to do after the unexpected  exposure. Everyone was silently staring at the couple. Sophia weeps in his arms, then Daniel spoke to her calmly. “Don’t be afraid, I’m right here, I won’t leave you.”