Chapter 22

~Elizabeth's POV~

I sat in bed thinking about tomorrow. It was going to be a hell of a day. Jamie has a date with Hunter, and I have to face Augustus and his cancer, since we have school tomorrow. I pulled out my phone. I had texts from William.

William: Baby? What's wrong?

William: What did I do to hurt you?

William: See ya 2nite bby luv ya Val

William: Sorry, wrong person

I also had messages from Augustus.

Gus: You don't hate me right?

Gus: I love you.

Gus: I hope you know that.

Augustus was actually really sweet. Much sweeter than William had ever been. I thought the cancer would make him depressed, bring him down even. Instead he seemed to not worry. He seemed like he would everyday like it was his last. The next day at school wasn't as bad as I thought. I only had one outburst of tears. That was cut back from how many I thought I'd have. Augustus smiled when he caught sight of me in science. I half smiled, as if to tell him that I hate cancer, I hate that this was all happening to him. "Hey." Augustus smiled as I got out of science. "why so down?" he asked sadly "Oh." he replied when he got the gist. I was about to cry. No. I cannot let myself cry, not here, not now. "I love you." I smiled a bit. The more happy I was with him, the more I hated William. William was nice and all, but now that I think about it, he kept me and my sister from making up. We could have made up if it wasn't for William being in the way. I think Gus was bringing me and my sister closer though. I think Gus has been making us think about if a tragedy like cancer hit our family. Would we want an argument to be our last goodbye? Obviously, that answer is no. "I love you too." He replied. He has more emotion in his little toe than William had in his entire body, and Gus's little toe was so small, it was nearly inexistent. He pulled me into a hug. "I am sorry." he said. "Don't be." I replied. I just kept within his warm embrace. "So," He asked ," Do you want to go on a date?". "Sure." I smiled. I was happy to be with Augustus, then I look over. Who else do I see? William and Valerie spying on us.