Chapter 8

I jolted awake in a cold sweat. I panted, and reminded myself that it was just a dream. Just another nightmare.

I caught my breath and looked at the alarm clock across the room. It was only three in the morning. I didn't want to close my eyes again, and see those horrible images, so I threw the blanket off and slipped into my shoes. I quietly walked to the door, and stepped outside.

The air was crisp and clear. I wandered aimlessly until I found myself by the canoeing lake, my shoe now soaked from stepping in the water. I sighed, not caring about the water seeping through my sock. I found the dock and stepped into the canoe, untying it. I used the oar to push away from the dock before paddling to the middle on the small lake. I set the oar down and breathed in the chilly night air. I finally got a moment to myself. Truly to myself.

I lay down in the canoe, looking at the stars, and thought about everything that had happened since I woke up from my coma. Dr. Francis was the first person to show kindness to me, helping me as much as he could. I'd have to go visit him and repay him after I was done here.

Then there was Meridian, and the creepy shadowy figure talking on the phone and preparing to kidnap me. I wondered if it had anything to do with the place Jack brought me or the Electroclan. I wondered what the man on the phone meant by the rats being well fed. I wondered if the man in the alley was still alive. Were those people still looking for me? Was I really safe here with the supposed resistance? What if they were working for the people trying to kidnap me?

I shook my head and tried to push all these thoughts out of my mind. Being paranoid never helped anyone. Unless, I told myself, the danger is real.

I shook my head again, and tried to think of all the good this place has brought me. My mother, Taylor, Ostin, and everyone else who acted like they knew me. They wouldn't be acting that way if they were working with the enemy, right? At the thought of these people, I felt the urge to meet all of them. I wanted to know who they were, and how I knew them. I closed my eyes, picturing the teenagers faces in my head. Each one had a name, a story, and somehow knew me.

"Hey, Michael!"

I opened my eyes and blinked. The sky was light. I must have fallen asleep. I sat up groggily.

"Michael! Is that you?" Someone was shouting from the edge of the lake. It was one of the boys I'd seen last night. Other than his large stature and long blondish, hair and correct me if I'm wrong about descriptions :) I couldn't see his face, let alone remember his name.

"Yeah!" I called back, waving.

"Hey guys, I found him! What are you doing out there?" My vision cleared and I could see him cupping his hands around his mouth.

Not knowing what to say, I responded with a phrase I was very used to: "I don't remember!" I smiled. It felt good to joke.

I picked up my oar and reoriented myself. While I'd slept, my boat had drifted to the other side of the lake. I rowed back to the dock, while the kid walked towards it. When I reached the dock, he helped me get out without falling in.

"We've been looking for you all morning, dude," he said, "You missed breakfast, but there's probably stuff you can forage in the kitchen."

I noticed that the boy had a bit of an odor, like he hadn't showered in a long time. I guess I was making a face, because he said, "It's my electricity. If I touch water I get electrocuted. I can't really....bathe. The water has to be distilled and it's hard to get enough for a regular shower."

I nodded, showing my understanding, and tried to ignore the smell. "So what's this about breakfast? I missed it?"

He nodded. "While you were floating around on the lake, we ate waffles and omelets." My mouth watered. "Why were on the lake, again?"