Dinner with the Russians

• Dedicated to Alex H.

I approach the reserved area of the restaurant, putting on a fresh, new, professional expression. My mouth curls into a small smile at the first thing I see. 

Pavel Datsyuk and Evgeni Malkin are playing some form of game with their hands, it looks something along the lines of patty-cake. Both of them are giggling and every once in a while shouting something. One can only assume that they're using a phrase in Russian, which obviously being a Torontonian I do not understand.

Across the table from Datsyuk and Malkin is another player, immediately I recognize him as Henrik Zetterberg, one of my favourite in the league. His head is turned in the opposite direction and he seems to be talking on a cell phone. 

Before I can work up the courage to speak to any of the guys I am pushed along by a strong hand. Soon a whisper fills my ear, "Glad you could make it, Hailey. My-my it must really be pouring out there! Well no worries, dinner won't begin until everyone has arrived, please take a seat." Mr. Moores says breathily. I'm pushed towards the seat directly beside Evgeni Malkin, who turns and smiles at me. 

Was he smiling at me? Why would he? Hailey, he's not...I bet there's some food behind me or something. Oh gosh, what if I'm in front of something he wants, what if he body-checks me. I bet this guy weighs at least 50 pounds more than.... 

"Hulloh!" 

I look around for a second, realizing that I've just be standing in front of my chair, staring at the floor. 

Stop getting so nervous. Why is it that you can back-talk Jonathan Toews but you can't sit beside Evgeni Malkin?

"Hi, do you mind if I-uh, sit here?" I say putting on a bright smile.

"No, no. Please, sit." He says. "I'm Evgeni, but you call me 'Geno', and here is Pavel, you can call him whatever." 

Pavel sticks his head out from beside Malkin and makes a goofy smile before saying, "Hiya!".

These two...they seem just like normal guys. They're not trying to impress me and they're certainly not cocky. Maybe this won't be so bad after all, I think while taking a seat.

"I'm starving!" Geno says, Pavel nods his head to agree, "D'you know why we can't eat yet?" he asks looking towards me.

"No idea. But, I kinda cheated. I bought a whole bunch of snacks for the tour and I started to eat some of the chocolate I packed..." I say honestly.

"Do you think you could...I don't know, share?" Geno asks with a playful pout. 

This makes me and Pavel laugh. How am I supposed to say no to Evgeni Malkin? So I reach into my pocket and pull out a bag of assorted candy bars and pass them to the two Russians. They shoot me a thankful look and immediately start unwrapping and chewing.

"I bet the reason we haven't eaten yet is because Mr.Ovi decided to stop at a strip club." Geno says with a devil's grin.

"Shh,shh. If anyone hear's you we'll be in trouble." Pavel says with a sound of false worry.

Suddenly Mr.Moores clears his throat and asks us to be seated, and informs us that dinner shall be ordered shortly. This is when I realize that almost the entire table is filled and two porky men have decided to sit to the right of me. The before barren room is now buzzing with executives.  Sitting across from me is Zetterberg and beside him is Ovechkin.

I wonder where Toews is...Oh, there, beside Mrs.Moores.

-----------------

The majority of the meal I spend talking to Pavel and Geno, we discuss sports, family and Canada. Each of them only had positive things to say and insisted on sending thousands of compliments my way. While we pretended to eat our desserts they started to give me ideas of what the other guys were like.

"Jona-ton....Hmmm. They call him 'Captain Serious', barely ever seen him smile, he plays very well, very good captain." Pavel says.

Geno looks at the third Russian at the table and examines him before saying,"Uhhh, Ovi. He's a party guy, likes to stay out late, lots' of fun and uhh, really creative on-ice." 

"And then there's Hank." I say smartly.

"Yeah, he's a good pal of mine and he's-" Pavel gets cut off by the impressive smile I give him.

"Trust me, I know everything about him." I say matter-of-factly, and with that I begin to list several statistics. They both give me funny looks, and before I can do anymore rambling my boss requests our attention once more.

"Well, I'm glad that we could get together tonight to discuss the tour. Tuesday will mark our first stop which will take place in Toronto, where the 5 NHL players and our own Hailey Watson will meet up with some fans at the Air Canada Centre. From Toronto we will head across the border to New York, New York, and so forth. All accomodations have been paid for and everyone who is involved is already booked for tonight and the next." 

I blanked out for the second half of the speech, staring unconsciously at Mr.Moores round, bald head. I only snapped back after someone kicked my leg. 

"Me, Pavel and Hank are car-poolin to the hotel, want to come?" Geno whispers.

What about my car, but this is a chance to get to know everyone better....

"Ah, I'm good. Meet up at the Check-in?" I ask.

Malkin nods and grabs his jacket, Pavel and Hank following closely behind. This leaves me all alone. Completely bored I search for the empty candy bag I know we dropped. I can see it's caught under the table so I crouch down in hopes of getting ahold of  it, on my way back up to my seat I bash my head. 

"Balls!" I scoff under my breath. 

A heavy laugh echos behind me.

Shit. That better not be who I think it is.

"Didn't your mom ever teach you how a lady speaks?" He says with that Russian accent.

"Yeah..Well I, um, I've got to go check in so, tah-tah!" I spit frantically.

"I don't mean to scare you off, let me introduce myself. I'm Alex, it's a pleasure to meet you...?" 

"Hailey." I say firmly.

"Yes, so sorry I just forgot." He says cooly.

I've heard about this guy, how he makes many woman swoon. But not today, I'm tired, still wet and definitely not in the mood to be charmed, so I put on a smile and say,"I'm actually in a rush, but tomorrow at the Brunch we'll talk, alright." 

And with that I zoom out of the restaurant and head to the hotel.