A Job Opportunity

• Dedicated to Alex H.

  I awake abruptly, my eyes slowly prying open.. The moonlight slowly creeps across my floor and over my bed. I slump to the left and look at the clock; its bright green numbers read “11:00 pm”. Tumbling out of bed and sleep walking towards the bathroom, I yawn.

  Just like every other day I take heavy sips from my black coffee, and continuously smooth my hair. After brushing my teeth and changing into my work suit I head towards the door, It’s already twelve and I know I’ll be late if I waste a second more. My silver Prius is waiting for me, parked neatly in the parking garage below my apartment.

  Punctuality is key when you’re an intern anywhere. A few months ago I started working at Sportscentre, and I have to say, I love it. It’s a mixture between my passion for sports and my desire for being in front of camera that has kept me here. My job is to give brief updates on the days games. Today there was a golf tournament of sorts, Tiger Woods making an unimaginable come back winning with an -20.

As I drive hesitantly I remember being told by a colleague that some sort of promotional tour is being revealed today. That’s what I want to do, along with being at the front desk.

  The front desk…

  That’s where I’ve always aspired to be. Being the host, being someone that you look forward to waking up and seeing on your television. Some one who can make your morning better, or, could at least make you forget that you’re watching highlights. In any case, I’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen for a long, long, time. 

---------------------------------------

Slowly I pull into the parking lot, waving at my friend Johanna. She’s one of the writers, me and her actually work pretty closely. Every once in a while she lets me sneak in an original joke and someone like Jay re-enacts them. Just another reason for me to love where I work, and, who I work with. 

After all the shooting for today is complete, and the cast/crew are summoned into the conference room.Standing at the head of the large table is our bald, large, smilingboss. With a grin smeared from cheek to cheek he welcomes us and clears his throat.

“So, as you all know, there is going to be a promotional tour this summer. And today, I’m going to tell you all the details.” Mr. Moores says with his heavy voice.

Smoothing his suit he continues, “One of our reporters will be sent around the world with five well-known NHL players. The purpose is to inspire local people around the nations to watch and enjoy hockey. The majority of the touring will be spent helping out local charities, signing autographs, participating in live shoots, and much, much more.”

The entire room falls silent with anticipation. My heart started to race, faster, and faster as each second inched on. This could be it! The chance I’ve been looking for to prove my potential.

“The players that have signed on are…”

“From the Pittsburgh Penguins, Evgeni Malkin." 

"From the Chicago Blackhawks, Jonathan Toews."

“From the Detroit Red Wings, Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk.”

“From the Washington Capitals, Alexander Ovechkin.”

I take the names in, each of them are well known players. All have had extremely impressive seasons, some of them are even personal heroes. This makes me even more nervous, I realize that there are probably close to no chances of me getting this job.

Look at how prestige these players are, they wouldn’t assign someone like me…

And this is it. I can tell by the way Moore is eyeing everyone in the room that he’s about to tell us. It’s Jay, I bet it is, how could you choose me over Jay Onrait. That’s right, no one in their right mind would. 

I wanted to feel confident but it was just so hard, I was in a room filled with professionals and I just didn’t know how I could compare.

“Congratulations, Hailey. You’ve got the job. Start packing, because in two weeks you’re going to meet up in Toronto and introduce the tour. Thanks everyone for coming, and keep up the great work.”

Hailey?

That couldn’t be right. He must have made a mistake...finally I catch my breath and realize all of my potential. I am good enough to do this, and even better...This is the opportunity I need.

The first step to reaching my dream.

A/N: So, tell me, did ya like it? I dunno, is it worth continuing, or how would you like to see the plot develop?