15

The sun had gone down hours ago and a cool breeze brought the smell of approaching rain, but Lovi didn't mind, he sat out in the garden against the fence, looking down at the sea, it looked so dark and uneven from this side of the waves, no wonder the humans feared it the way they did. He didn't understand their lack of gills, they were surrounded by the ocean, it would be so much more practical, but Toni said that's just not how it works. So he had to accept that.

The click of a window latch opened behind him and her turned to see Toni stepping out, hair still damp from bathing, framed by a warm light and the merman's heart leapt into his throat "Lovi! Good evening!" He called down with a sunny smile "enjoying the cool change?" He leaned on the windowsill

He stood dumbstruck, such a simple question and yet he couldn't find the words to answer, the sea crashed against the cliff below him and the wind stirred his hair, and he felt numb, that is, untill a fat raindrop landed right on the bridge of her nose, making him blink in surprise "Lovi, you'd better come in before you get soaked" it had started raining without him noticing, Toni was laughing brightly and beckoning him in "you'll catch cold out in the rain"

"I'm coming, hold your horses, human" he rolled his eyes with a smile, heading for the door.