16

The storm didn't let up in the next few days, the streets of the town at the bottom of the hill flooded and the sea rose so high the beach could hardly be seen, Anuk sat by the window, watching the rain against the glass, but Lovi stubbornly kept his back to it, engaging himself instead with reading the books that humans wrote, they didn't have those in the sea and he thought they were brilliant "the sea is angry" the blonde woman commented, and Lovi snorted, glancing over at her, the clock said it was two in the afternoon, but the sky was dark as midnight beyond the glass "that is my father, he's finally noticed I snuck out" he closed his book with a sigh.

Toni came bounding down the stairs, fastening his coat, his usual grin in place as he kissed Anuk's forehead, Lovi felt something unpleasant churn in his stomach "I'm going down to the town, if we want to eat tomorrow I need to get there while the shops are open" he opened the door, looking out into the rain.

Lovi hesitated a moment until he heard Anuk warning her brother about the cliff path, and he knew it would be better this way, he walked over to Toni, cheeks warming "wait a moment, I have something for you, Pirate, bend down a little, would you?" Toni obliged, confused as Lovi reached up onto his toes and kissed his forehead "there"

"Lovely and all as that gesture was, fish boy, what's it for?" He grinned sheepishly and the smaller boy turned red "it was a sea blessing, to keep your dumb ass from drowning out there in that rain" he scoffed and shoved him towards the door "now go, before it gets any darker"