Chapter 3

Frostkit up top! Isn't he gorgeous?! :)

"No!" Fernkit heard her mother cry, "Don't take him yet!"

"There's nothing left I can do, I'm sorry." Fidgetfoot whispered.

Frostkit was dead. Fidgetfoot had done everything he could but no one and nothing could have saved him. Fernkit looked over at her sister, Amberkit, who was sleeping in their nest. How can she be sleeping at a time like this? Fernkit thought, feeling her eyes grow wet with emotion.

"Why did you have to take him?" Amberkit suddenly cried out.

Is she just having a bad dream? Fernkit wondered. Or is she actually aware of what's happening?

Amberkit suddenly popped her head up and stared at Fernkit. Her bright green eyes were abnormally dull.

"Are you okay, Amberkit?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Frostkit is dead." Fernkit whispered.

"I know." She said, obviously trying to choke back tears.

Fernkit padded over to her. "How would you know? You were sleeping when it happened."

"Oh, right. I saw him form in Starclan."

Fernkit's mouth dropped open. "Y-you visit St-starclan in your sleep?"

"Yeah. Have I never told you that before?" Amberkit tipped her head.

"No..."

"Oh, sorry. Yeah I dream of Starclan a lot."

"You should tell Fidgetfoot. He might be able to help you with that."

"Help me? I don't need help." She snarled.

"Sorry!" Fernkit squeaked and leaped back. She saw Amberkit dash over to Frostkit's body and bury her nose in his kit-soft fur. Fernkit said her goodbyes to Frostkit and stalked out of the Nursery. She passed her father, Dewfrost as he was heading in. Fernkit crossed the river to the fresh-kill pile and took a small mouse. She picked at it lightly, trying not to let grief take over her.

When she finished, she bounded over to Amberkit and dropped into a playful crouch. "Want to play moss-ball?"

"Not right now." Amberkit replied. Turning around and walking towards the Elders den, her long tail dragging in the dust.

Amberkit loves moss-ball. Why can't she get over the fact the Frostkit is dead and just play with me? She wondered numbly, "I guess I'll try later..." turning towards the nursery she started to play with the moss by herself. This is boring. She thought crossly. I need Amberkit to have fun. She stopped playing with the moss-ball altogether and walked slowly away, her head hanging. Why can't Amberkit just play with me and not worry about a dead cat? She isn't going to change anything.

* * *

A few sunrises went by and all Fernkit wanted to do was play moss-ball with her sister.

"Not right now." Was always Amberkit's answer. This time, she whipped away, annoyed, from Fernkit before trailing towards the Elders den. Fernkit slumped down to where her belly fur was touching the rocky ground. And her tail was planted solid to the ground as if nothing could lift it up,

"I guess I should have known better," she sighed,

glancing over to where Amberkit was disappearing into the Elders den.

* * *

Amberkit thought she needed a story to cheer her up, not a game of moss-ball. She poked her head into the Elders den and called out, "Cherrytail?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Frostkit just died!" Amberkit wailed. I hope she can cheer me up a bit. I feel as lonely as a tree in a middle of a field with rain trickling down its trunk.

"Come here, Amberkit. Will the story about Firestar and Sandstorm cheer you up?"

"Oh, yes please." Amberkit answered absently.

"Well, I was only about eight moons old at the time-"

Already, Amberkit was distracted. She tried to look like she was listening but she was really thinking about how efficient Fidgetfoot was with how he tried to cure Frostkit's greencough. It sure would be cool to know how to treat wounds...

* * *

Fernkit got up and wondered where Prinklekit went. Maybe he would like to play moss-ball with me! She ran slowly but surely to the nursery where her mother, Cloudmist was basking in the sun. Prinklekit was playing with her tail, leaping in the air as her tail moved up and down. That actually looks fun. She thought, almost forgetting the quarrel she had with Amberkit. She scampered towards Prinklekit and her Mother, joining Prinklekit with the game of "try to catch the tail." She and her brother kept on trying to grab it but it kept moving away. "All I want to do is grasp the tail!" She exclaimed.

Prinklekit squeaked, "No, I'm going to get it first!"

"No you won't, I will!" Fernkit dared. "Mother stop moving your tail so I can grab it before Prinklekit!" She mewed, drawing out the word mother.

"Darlings, how about you go find Amberkit and play moss-ball together instead of my tail?" Cloudmist mewed gently, nudging Fernkit and Prinklekit.

Fernkit squeaked, "But, Cloudmist, she doesn't want to play. She just wants to listen to boring stories of times long ago."

"Well, then, why don't you join her, it would be nice to get some peace and quiet around here, and anyway you need to learn from your elders.

Sighing, Fernkit and Prinklekit padded towards the elders den, tails twitching.