vi. hunting happiness

CHAPTER SIX!
HUNTING HAPPINESS W. DARLING

I HAD AWOKEN to the sound of my family's return. Downstairs, the door swung open and my father yelled, "We're home!"

 Hardly out of sleep, I had jumped from my bed and darted downstairs. I'd attacked my dad with a hug, then my mother and eight-month-old Tessa. A moment later, Luke had come downstairs, pulling on a T-shirt. Then followed Elizabeth.

 It had been a wonderful morning. Dad had brought along breakfast, and Elizabeth utterly adored Tessa. A smile had crossed my face a dozen times, just watching how motherly Liz had turned out to be. And the smile, in part, was sad, for Liz looked like a young Lynn, and Lynn had been one of the greatest mothers the world had ever had the pleasure of knowing.

 Somehow, Kenny had received word of the remainder of my family's return. Near noon, he arrived with Leah and Kat. One after the other, the rest of the Sandlot Boys poured inside. Eventually, not only were all of the boys (including Benny...and Brandy) there, but Ivy had come as well, towing along Mason, the Korean boy I had met at the skating rink before.

 Currently, I sat in the kitchen, watching as all of the boys played with Tessa. The baby girl was in Bertram's sure arms. Although I was quite sure Ivy and Mace had something going on, Ivy watched Bertram with faint stars in her eyes.

 But my full attention did not reside with the boys and my sister. Without really meaning to, I had ended up staring at Benny. Surely there was longing in my expression. For that, I felt absolutely horrible when Brandy caught me staring at her boyfriend.

 Suddenly, a hand touched my shoulder. The music in my ears must have drowned out the voice of Kenny, who leaned over me with concern in his eyes.

 "Are you okay?" he inquired, once I pulled the earbuds away.

 "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" But my voice sounded breathy and high. Almost frantic. It surprised me; I hadn't even known there was something wrong with me.

 Kenny's brows pulled together, lightly. "You just looked...sad. Wistful."

 A smile turned on my mouth. "All that reading has boosted your vocabulary."

 He returned the smile. "I have you to thank for that."

 Just then, a high wail cut through the air. On instinct, I jumped to my feet, in the fear that Tessa was hurt. But when my gaze found her, she was still in Bertram's arms, who now looked a bit nervous.

 "Makayla," he called, "Tessa doesn't like me anymore."

 Deciding that he had not hurt her, I rolled my eyes and abandoned Kenny. "What did you do to her, you little shit?"

 Bertram's eyes begged for help. "I didn't do anything. She—"

 "I know, I know," I broke in, and when I reached him, I took the baby swiftly into my arms. "She's just whining. She's probably on her baby period."

 Bertram's mouth dropped. "Is that a thing?"

 "No, Bertram." A smile touched my lips. "I say that because she's usually fine, but every month, for a few days she'll whine a lot."