Wonderment

con·fu·sion
kənˈfyoZHən/Submit
noun
1.
lack of understanding; uncertainty.

I awake the next morning to the sound of shower running and sun the calming sensation of morning on my face. "Hm, I guess Gumball woke up before me. I wonder if he remembers last night, how drunk was he?" I get up from the groove I created with my body throughout the night and head towards the shower, let's see how much Gumball remembers. I slowly open the door to the bathroom and stand in the frame one arm propped above me and the other on my hip "Morning sweet cheeks, how'd ya sleep?" Gumball nearly jumped out of his skin as a yelp left his throat. "I-I-I-I" you'd think Gumball was going to pass out from all the blood rushing to his face. He tried his hardest to form words but all that would come out were babbles and stutters. "I'll take it as you enjoyed last night?" The water coming from the shower stopped and Gumball grabbed the towel and covered himself as he exited the steamy room, running to our bed. "You. Cannot. Tell. Anyone." The look in Gumballs eyes were fierce, I've never in my all my lives have seen Gumball with such a stern and powerful look. I tried to lighten the mood, calm down the bundled up wad of Gum before me "oh Gummybear I would never tell a soul of our night of lust" I winked at the cute man standing before me, but the seriousness in his eyes never wavered. " I mean it." He finally dropped his glare and sat on the bed before him, signing in disbelief as he placed his head in his hands. I took a seat next to him and laid my hand on his back "Gumball in all seriousness, I would NEVER tell anyone. My personal life is mine and mine only, I can't even stand the idiots-I mean associates-I'm forced to work with Monday-Friday.
"My father....doesn't know...."
"How long have you known?"
"Hmph....my senior year of high school." I felt a ping in my chest. Every Gumball has a different variation of events that'll simultaneously lead us to each other once again, but that doesn't mean I enjoy hearing it.
"Hm. If you don't mind me asking, what transpired?"
"We were on student council together, his name was Felix, everyone called him Flame because of how he played basketball on the court. No one knew we were together...they couldn't. Flame had every girl literally at his feet and I the son of one of the most wealthy business men in the nation we couldn't risk it. So we'd act casual towards each other in school and sneak out during the late hours of the night."

"Hm, why you with him anymore, it seems you really loved each other?" What a stupid question Marshall, the fate of the universe wants us to be together that's why hes not with Flame.

"Ha, well if you must know" Gumball got up from his spot in the bed and began to get dressed. "You see, it was one of those late night encounters. I had snuck over to his house at about 3AM as we usually did. His parents were usually asleep by that time, but this time I guess I made to much noise entering his home. Half way through us hanging out and foolish around as you would say, his father came into his room" Yikes, I'm centuries old and I would quite possibly die at that moment. "Uh yeah, his father was not happy about seeing another male below his only son. We begged him to not tell my father, I was a blubbering mess in fear of my father finding out. He gave us his word he would not tell a soul under the condition that we stop seeing each other. I reluctantly agreed but my secret is more import to me than a relationship. Later that month Flame was sent back to Spain to live with his Uncle. I haven't heard from him since then."

"That sounds awful...I am terribly sorry Gumball, no one should have to go through that kind of heartbreak."

"what about you Marshall"

"Pardon me?"

"Have you ever loved someone, does anyone else know?"

I placed my elbows on the bed and laid at an angle, staring at the ceiling trying to find the words to express to the person I love without telling him I love him while also trying to gather the words to not expose the fact I am a vampire who is thousands of years old.

"My parents sadly passed away in the war back at my homeland when I was 17. My father as well as my mother were both Lieutenants in our military systems. It was an ambush attack by the enemy, my parents sacrificed themselves to save hundreds of soldiers. They died before I could tell them."

"Oh....Oh my god Marshall I had no idea, I am so sorry."

"It was a long time ago, my village was stricken with war by a tyrant obsessed with control, I have mourned and continue to mourn the legacy that my parents left. But as for loving someone yes. I was in love once, they were everything you could possibly ask for in a lover. Sadly, our love was forbidden. Not only the fact the area in which we resided in were greatly homophobic, he was a man from the enemy village."

"Wow, so you two were like Romeo and Juliet! Except, both guys."

I threw my head back with laughter "Far from it Gumball," i finally get up and follow Gumball in getting ready, "We just happened upon each other on the Hill farthest from the villages, we would meet every night at sundown and basque in the presence of each other because for just those few moments, the destructive world that surrounded us was nothing more than the sweet echos of cicadas and leaves greener than the emeralds that grace the earth." 

"Oh my goodness Marshall...it sounds like you really loved this person.."

"The love I have for that person is a love I will have for them for eternity."

"Whatever happened to them...?"

I placed my hands in my pockets and gazed out the city view window before us, Sun shinning its golden embers brightly. "He died as well. War is not place for love and happiness. It is death, numbness, and the aching pain of the memories that were once enjoyable. Death has no name, death has no face. Death is inevitable even to the most purest of souls."

A few seconds of silenced graced the room as I pondered back to the days were me and Gumball would lay in the grass, holding hands and speaking of the most sweetest nothings to each other. I long for those moments more than anyone could understand. 

"Marshall," Gumball placed a soft hand onto my shoulder, "I can only imagine what it feels like to love someone and lose them. I lost my mother when I was a young boy, she was very sick. But she used to put me to bed every night when her days were coming to an end and tell me 'Even beyond death, I will love you for eternity.' its a phrase I feel as though I have heard and felt my entire life, I know this person still loves you, even beyond death"

I could not help but smirk at the beautiful Revelation of words that sang to my ears. I place my hand upon Gumballs and I look him in the eyes "Thank you my dear."

The time will come when I can reveal who I am, I will continue to love you until death do us part once again.