Chapter 2 - Finder's Keeper's?

Grass is underfoot.

   First order of Gabriel: Scout. Even if we have arrived to the church that is going to house us, we have to learn about our surrounding, maybe even catch unwanted eyes. It is easier to find the unwanted at night, you know, when no one should be around.

   Swiftly, I set about my area. Undergrowth and trees gather around me in a huddle. Above, the night sky illuminates the land with the fading moonlight. It must be 4 AM. As I move, a slight glow is emitted from me. The perks of being an Angel. I narrow my eyes not a second later. A few yards ahead of me, it is dark.

   Don't go, Well no duh, it's nighttime. What I mean is completely different. Just like an Angel gives off light, demons give off darkness. I think I found a demon.

  I crouch down, advancing slowly. The darkness gets closer to me, er, I get closer to the darkness. Swish. An obsidian colored figure moves. Not on my watch. I run and tackle the faceless figure, knocking them to the floor.

   "Fuck!" a deep voice exclaims. I pin his arms to the ground.

   Once I do that, I concentrate on his face. He holds the typical features of a demon. Deep night hair. Abyss eyes. Everything frosted with a cold edge.

   "As much as I would enjoy doing the dirty business on the dirt, mind getting off me so we can at least have dinner?" he says. Typical demon.

   "State your business," I reply sharply. No time for talk.

   "Well, if dinner goes well then--," he is cut off by my knee. Driving into his stomach.

   "What is your name?" my voice hardens with ice.

   Silence. I drive my knee further.

   "You know, that knee of yours is a real ice breaker. Damn," he grunts, then in a fancy voice he says, "Moden is the name, cursing is my fucking game." A smirk passes his face.

   Before I can take him to the HQ, I hear rustling behind me.

   "Oh, man. Guess our dinner plans have gone to shit, now I can't get to know that knee of yours," Moden fakes a disappointed tone and expression.

   I jump up as unwanted company begins to close in on me.

   "Well, as much as I'd enjoy staying, I'd rather go. So, toodles!"

  Then, he jumped back into the bushes, leaving me with company. On the horizon, the sun just started blooming. Still, dark rings circled the five demons who stayed still. I go into a fighting position, but the demons just smirk.

   "Maybe later," one says in a cigarette damaged voice, and with that, the pack departs. As the warmth of the sunlight begins touching my feet, I realize I should go report the incident to Gabriel and the others.