Continue Alex Bishop and the North Side Detectives

Chapter 21

                                                                        Mrs. Books Tells a Story

     Sunday afternoon Alex, Glenna, Lee and Fletch were sitting at Dawn's kitchen table having a delicious lunch prepared by Dawn's mother.  The group figured they wouldn't be bothered by Lyn and her friends listening in to their conversations if they held their planning session here.  Each of them were mulling over what had happened at the tower the day before.

     Suddenly, Dawn's eyes widened above the sandwich she was eating.  She stopped in mid bite and glanced at her mother, who was at the sink washing dishes, while at the same time talking on the land line phone.  So wouldn't be listening to any conversation at the table.  Dawn put down the remainder of her lunch and leaned in toward the others. 

     "Listen," she said in an excited whisper.  "We should go see Mrs. Books."  The boys and Glenna looked confused, but nodded in agreement, knowing Dawn usually had a good reason when she suggested something.  The friends finished their lunch quickly and then Dawn told her mom that they were going to visit Mrs. Books.  Mrs. Marks told them to have a good time and told Dawn to be home for dinner.

     As the teens stepped off the front steps they met Lyndell, Nikki, Amy and Michael, grinning slyly at them.  "What are you all doing here?"  Alex asked suspiciously.  "We have a proposition for you."  Lyn said smiling broadly.  Lyn told Alex and his friends all they had seen and heard at the shack and the tower.

     She had just finished speaking when Nick, Matt and Sam came striding over from across the street.  "What's up?" Nick asked, staring at his friends angry faces.  Alex explained what Lyn had told them.  "So we have no choice but to take them along with us?"  Matt said in irritation.  "It doesn't look like it."  Sam said with a shrug.

     "We're going to Mrs. Books house,"  Dawn said with an exasperating look at Lyn.  "We'll pick up Mr. Wells on the way."  She ended.  If any of the others found this last statement strange, they didn't say so.  Perhaps it was the rather scary look on Dawn's face that kept them silent.  "I wonder what Mrs. Books will say when all these people turn up on her door step?" Alex asked, as they all set off down the street.

     "Oh, she will probably be thrilled.  We all know how she loves to have company."  Lee said.  When they reached Mr. Wells house, Alex explained why Lyn and her friends were there.  Mr. Wells looked like he might faint.  He had turned an ugly shade of green.  "Are you alright?"  Dawn asked him anxiously.

     "Oh, yes.  You would think I would be used to this sort of thing by now, wouldn't you?"  In spite of everything frustrating, everyone laughed.  Dawn plucked up her courage and asked Mr. Wells to go with them to Mrs. Books house.  Mr. Wells agreed to go, however reluctantly.