Continue Alex Bishop and the North Side Detectives

"Well, all I know is someone blew up about five vehicles," he said, shaking his head sadly.  "And the blasts caught the side of the school on fire as well.  "Is everyone here okay?"  the officer asked.  "Yes."  Max said wearily.  "Well, that's good.  From going through the crowd, it looks like all that was harmed was the cars, which is always good news when no humans were hurt.  Well, I've gotta go check inside the building for any damaged,"  he said, and waving, lumbered off across the lawn.

     It seemed that everyone's eyes found the singed parking lot at the same time.  Students, parents and teachers stared in stunned silence.  Mr. Riggs, the gym teacher positioned himself in the middle of the crowds, with a megaphone in his hand.  He heaved a great sigh before he spoke.  "ATTENTION!  ATTENTION!  PLEASE!"  The crowd stared at him with wide eyes.

     "ER, I'M GLAD TO KNOW....ALL OF US ARE OKAY!  THIS IS....TERRIBLE!  THE FIREMEN TELL ME THOSE STUDENTS WHO'S PARENTS HAVE COME TO TAKE THEM HOME MAY DO SO!"  Mr. Riggs appeared very pale and was shaking all over, as he spoke.  Alex had never seen him like that before.  It scared him. 

     "THE FIREMEN ARE GOING CAR BY CAR....TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE SAFE TO APPROACH!  THAT WILL TAKE SOME TIME!  THERE'S NO WAY TO KNOW WHOSE CARS!....CARS!....WERE!....OH MY GOD!"  Mr. Riggs suddenly fell to his knees sobbing.  There was an outbreak of crying around Alex and all over the lawn on which the crowd stood.  Mr. Wells took off through the crowds at a run.

     He came to stand beside Mr. Riggs' kneeling body and patted him gently on the shoulder.  Then he took the megaphone from his trembling hand.  A fireman leaned down and whispered something in Mr. Wells' ear, while the crowd waited.  Another firemen helped Mr. Riggs to his feet and led him over to an ambulance parked nearby.

     After Mr. Wells' short conversation, he faced the waiting crowd.  "I AM TOLD THAT THE SCHOOL IS SAFE TO ENTER!  STUDENTS MAY GO AND COLLECT THEIR THINGS, ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT!  I AM ALSO TOLD IT WILL BE ANOTHER HOUR BEFORE IT IS SAFE TO ENTER THE PARKING AREA!  WE CAN ASSESS THE DAMAGE AT THAT TIME!  THANK YOU!"  He ended.

     Just as Mr. Wells was ending his speech, a tall beautiful woman was running up the front lawn to Alex's group.  Alex spied her first and called, "Miss Weems!  Scarlet!"  She turned in the direction of the familiar voice and sprinted toward it.  Many in the surrounding crowd watched as she embraced as many of the people around Alex at one time, as she could, including he himself.

     "Thank God you're all right!"  She cried, as tears streamed down her pretty face.  Mr. Wells was walking wearily  back across the grassy yard when he saw his sister.  "Scarlet!"  he  shouted, his voice cracking.  Scarlet turned sharply and ran to him, throwing her arms around his neck.  Dawn sobbed as she watched the tender scene, and Chet put a comforting arm around her.

     "What happened?"  Scarlet screamed, her face glistening with tears.  "No one knows yet.  Except that several vehicles were blown up."  Mr. Wells said as calmly as possible.   Scarlet gasped and then shrieked, "Why?"  "We don't know."  Mr. Wells said, patting her back.  "But this is crazy!  Who would want to blow up teachers' cars?"  Scarlet said, looking at her brother with wide eyes.  "Who indeed."  Alex whispered.

     "We should know more when the investigators are through with the crime scene."  Mr. Wells said hopefully.

     "Come on Alex.  Let's go get your things."  Max said, throwing an arm around his son's shoulders.  The other fathers nodded at their sons to come along too.  Mrs. Marks offered to take the little girl, Julie with her and Dawn, since her mother had the baby to look after.  Julie's mother, Mrs. Nancy Mc Coy said a soft, "Thank you.