7.

D.S
"You're so pretty, but why I never see you fly?
Pretty bird, pretty bird, pretty bird, pretty bird
Please don't die, please don't die
Pretty bird, pretty bird, I know your hurtin'
Well so am I, so am I
Pretty bird, pretty bird, pretty bird, pretty bird
Please don't cry, you can fly"

Desire sang the words of Jhene Aiko as she gazed outside her window, engulfed in her brother Tahj's hoodie. The racking of the radiator had brought a smile to her face. They've been going without heat for two days.

She observed the community that was South Village. South Village consisted of middle and lower class citizens. Some families- like Desire's - survived off of paycheck to paycheck, while others were receiving EBT cards and food stamps.

Despite the dosage of struggle that came with South Village, Desire loved it. She's grown accustom to it these past two years since they had to move. She loved the culture and life South Village had to offer. She would never be ashamed of her home.

However, she would be lying if she said she didn't miss her old home and life. She missed the comfort and love that came with two parents, the bigger house, and kissing her father goodbye after coming home from school. She missed a lot of things, things that just can't come back.

Desire sighed and made her way to the bathroom to take her shower. She felt very sluggish this morning and she tried to ignore it. It was just one of those days for Desire. Those days where she suddenly felt empty and angry at everyone and everything.

She was going shopping today with her mom. After taking her shower and moisturizing her dark skin, she looked for an outfit to wear. She settled with a green and blue Adidas sweatshirt and blue boyfriend jeans. She finished off her look with her black Doc Martins and her olive green parka. She adorned her look with a high ponytail and her silver hoop earrings.

Desire left her room feeling satisfied with her look.

"Morning," Desire greeted her mother in the kitchen.

"Mornin' ladybug." Denise kissed her daughters forehead and smiled.

Desire leaned against the counter and smiled wryly at her mother.

"What's wrong? You're hungry?" Denise asked.

"Not really. What are you making?"

"Just some egg whites. Have some." Denise pushes a plate towards her daughter. Desire reluctantly took a few bites.

Denise noticed her daughters sudden sadness and makes her look her in the eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, mom." Desire sighed. "Just not feeling it this morning." Desire held her head down and played with her fingers.

Denise sighed and took her daughters hand into hers.

"Do I need to start making appointments with your therapist again?" Denise asks softly.

Desire sighed and fought the urge to turn down the offer. She's been trying to ignore the fact that things aren't going okay with her mental lately, but the more she puts it off, the worse she knows she'll get.

Desire holds her head down and nods her head. She doesn't want her mother to know how much she's been hurting.

"Ladybug, you should've just told me." Denise whispers and reaches for her phone. "You and your brothers' health and happiness are important to me."

Desire listens to her mother call Dr. Anderson. She feels defeated every time she gives into her emotions, but this has to be done. Desire just wants to be okay.

Denise puts down the phone and tells her Dr. Anderson can squeeze her in today.

Denise wipes her daughters tears. "It's okay to be in pain even after all this time, baby. Pain leaves everyone at different times. You don't have to ignore it."

Desire let's out a nasty squeal as she lets the tears stream down her face. Denise holds her daughter tightly and plays in her hair.

D.K
Deion sat on the living room couch, staring into the TV but not taking in anything that was going on.

It was Saturday afternoon and Deion quickly failed his mission. She told Jacey he would be better, but he failed last week.

After eating dinner alone that night, the thought of his mother hit a nerve he's been protecting all this time. He didn't want to be vulnerable about it anymore, but he was tried of fighting the tears from streaming down his face and the scream from roaring out his belly.

Jacy came home that night to Deion screaming and crying, yelling and pleading for his parents. He screamed until his voice was hoarse.

Jacy immediately made an appointment for him to see his therapist the next morning. Today was his first session in months.

Deion didn't understand why some days were better than others. He wanted so badly to have his better days everyday, but it wasn't possible.

He's realized that pain never really leaves. You can deal with it and mask it, but it will always be there and something or someone will always bring it back to light again.

Pain is just as strong as love, and neither go unnoticed or unfelt. They both demand your attention, tears and agony no matter what, and Deion was quite sick of it.

He gripped the TV remote and threw it to the floor across the room. Jacy jumped and looked over at him from the kitchen.

He's barely spoken to her since what happened that night. Jacy knew it was due to him shutting down, but she couldn't help but take it personally. He wouldn't even let her touch him these past couple days.

"Lil bug, it's time to go." Jacy says sweetly to her brother.

She didn't want to view him as broken, but he was and it made her heart ache in ways she didn't think was possible. She hasn't stopped crying for her brother. It's gotten to the point where she sometimes feels she can't take care of him anymore and should send him to Georgia with their aunt. But, she knows Deion will never forgive her for that.

"Okay," Deion said lowly. He got up and put on his coat and walked right out the door. Jacey took a deep breath and followed behind him.

Once they reached the office, Deion signed in his name and sat next to Jacy in the waiting room.

He looked up and saw Desire sitting across from them with who he assumed as her mother. He was unsure of whether he should call for attention, or just wait to see what she does.

To his surprise, Desire met his gaze and smiled at him. It was the most heartbreaking and defeated smile Deion had ever saw. It was at that moment, Deion knew there was depth to Desire Simmons too. It strangely gave him both comfort and sadness.

"Who's that?" Jacy nudged Deion's shoulder.

"Someone from school." He replied.

"A friend?" Jacy pried further.

Deion shrugs, still looking at Desire. "Something like that. Some days she acts like she's my friend, other days she despises me for some odd reason."

"Maybe she likes you." Jacy smiles, earning an eye roll from Deion. "Or, from the looks of it, maybe she has some stuff going on in her life too."

"Yeah, another piece in this game." Deion replies softly.